PDA

View Full Version : Closed loop idea

chImerAnz
04/09/2007, 04:36 AM
Hey,

I had this thought if I were to do another tank, how I could get the ultimate circulation down low in the tank (as the streams do a good job of the middle and upper levels) I thought about this idea, I code name it the "water box" :D Can anyone give some constructive feedback why this would or would not work? I think it's quite self-explanatory - but if you're not sure, the bit coloured in grey are 3 extra pieces of glass siliconed in the back. There are bulkheads on the outside of the box which are essentially inlets to the box - similar to pipes in a skimmer chamber, where water is passed into the box. The water passes out the horizontal column along the bottom. Kind of an alternative idea to a spray bar but much more stealthy and perhaps with more turbulent/random flow?

http://www.nzmas.co.nz/members/chimera/plumbing/closedloopidea.gif

Cheers

Icefire
04/09/2007, 05:04 AM
Just use a 1/2-3/4 pvc with many holes as a spray bar on a powerhead..

OnlyCrimson
04/09/2007, 07:07 AM
I like the idea. Build it so we can see pics of it working?

chImerAnz
04/09/2007, 04:51 PM
Just use a 1/2-3/4 pvc with many holes as a spray bar on a powerhead..
I already do exactly this on my current 5' tank. The problem is it's hard to "stealth" it and really requires rockwork around it to hide it all. It only covers about 1/3 of the length of the tank and sits forward from the back about 6".

The benefit of this idea is, with the back of the tank sprayed blue or black, it will be alot more difficult to spot (ie: aesthetically look more natural), yet will provide a good spread of flow across the whole back of the tank. The tank is an in-wall at the moment, the hole being 5' to match the current tank size. I'm going to retain that size and put a 6' in (so 6" will be hidden beind the wall on either side) This allows a stream at each end without being directly visible.

The surface area of the gap in the "water box" will need to be matched to the surface area of the outlet of the circulation pump (or slightly smaller) - this will ensure it maintains good pressure. Too big and it wont do very much at all.

Its a bit difficult to build a prototype of it, but I think I'll just do it anyway :D The new tank will be 3 foot front to back

chImerAnz
04/09/2007, 05:15 PM
Oh, and the other idea I had was, instead of a sealed box, use a removeable black perspex panel that could slide in there instead. Then, have teeth (just like an overflow comb) right across the bottom of it. Behind this panel I could place a spray bar across the full length of the tank right at the bottom.