PDA

View Full Version : any tips for keeping clowns?

renji
04/09/2007, 08:05 AM
hi i just purchased 2 tank breed false perculia clowns and advice or tips would be welcome thanks

Random Aquarist
04/09/2007, 08:14 AM
Wait, is your tank really 1 month old?

GSMguy
04/09/2007, 08:54 AM
no tips exept keep them fed :)

good luck and [welcome]

renji
04/10/2007, 04:59 AM
yer i got it from ebay everythings going good oh yeah i think i overfeed em

Random Aquarist
04/10/2007, 08:44 AM
Generally, it's not recommended to start putting any creatures in at only 1 month because the water parameters take time to stabilize, and it also gives the reefer time to establish a maintenance routine. However, I won't be biased. How are your corals, fish, and inverts doing? Are your water parameters stable? Clowns are very hardy fish. They've been known to be the only surviving things in tanks that have crashed. As long as you feed them well and keep water conditions okay, there won't be any problems.

Oh, about overfeeding, it's not a good idea. Many types of fish don't have the ability to stop eating. So, if you had an infinite amount of food in front of them, they would eat themselves to death. I'm not sure if clowns are one of these fish, but I wouldn't chance it. I think the rule of thumb is to feed only what the fish can eat within 6 minutes, so measure how much you feed them within that time period. Also, it's not like you're their only food source; there are amphipods and isopods, their natural food source, floating through your tank. They'll snack on 'em as they float by.

Good luck with your clowns:)

Happy October!

GSMguy
04/10/2007, 08:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9689137#post9689137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by renji
yer i got it from ebay everythings going good oh yeah i think i overfeed em

overfeeding is only bad
feed only what they can eat :)