Thunderpants
04/09/2007, 03:09 PM
Skimmer = better. Discuss.

BLKTANG
04/09/2007, 03:10 PM
I have both.

nismo driver
04/09/2007, 03:16 PM
i would say ones no better then the other but together there very good..

its to seperate pieces of the puzzle the skimmer pulls things from the water at one stage of there use and the fuge breaks it down further at another stage, a fuge alone wouldnt be able to process all things that a skimmer would normally catch and the stuff the skimmer doesnt catch goes to the fuge..

fuge also provides a seperate environment for organisms to thrive, that cant happen in a skimmer..

Jadams
04/09/2007, 03:31 PM
I need both on em'...Im about to get the hang on refugium and Tunze DOC..Together will be AWESOME!

CCR
04/09/2007, 03:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9684130#post9684130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thunderpants
Skimmer = better. Discuss.

Hmm... Is Oxygen > Water?

Both together work better in a reef tank. An intelligent mixture of good husbandry, aggressive skimming and an appropriately sized refugium is a good foundation for success. With that said, if I had to choose *one*, I would install a skimmer before a refugium.

Michael L.
04/09/2007, 04:58 PM
I am new to the saltwater scene, but I am a freshwater planted tank enthusiast, and I can tell you that if I had to chose between the two, I would go with a skimmer. Skimmers take the organics out before they can be broken down into nitrogen, which plants cannot do. Plants also cannot remove nitrogen 24 hours a day. They are only efficient when the lights are on, so unless you have a two stage refugium with alternating day/night timing (one on day, one on night), then skimmers are probably better.

The main advantage to refugiums on nanos- they are extremely cheap.

kind reefer
04/11/2007, 02:17 PM
I run an AquaFuge PS that has a skimmer in the first stage, then a refugium for my macros. Both benefits in one hang-on system. Get some cheato. in there and watch it grow! Greta place for pods to accumulate and be harvested for my fish.

nismo driver
04/11/2007, 07:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9684973#post9684973 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael L.
I am new to the saltwater scene, but I am a freshwater planted tank enthusiast, and I can tell you that if I had to chose between the two, I would go with a skimmer. Skimmers take the organics out before they can be broken down into nitrogen, which plants cannot do. Plants also cannot remove nitrogen 24 hours a day. They are only efficient when the lights are on, so unless you have a two stage refugium with alternating day/night timing (one on day, one on night), then skimmers are probably better.

The main advantage to refugiums on nanos- they are extremely cheap.

fyi fuge light should stay on 24/7 so the macro doesnt go asexual and cause a massive algea bloom

o so i have been led believe

Rosseau
04/11/2007, 08:43 PM
As per the asexualness... I think caulpera algae will do it, while chaetomorpha will not.

I really am not sure, I just thought I read that somewhere. Look into it if you're interested (to whom it may concern).

jski711
04/11/2007, 08:52 PM
ya, chaeto does not go asexual. i've had it for over a year and no probs. i have alternating light cycles and it grows like mad but never went asexual on me. that just sounds weird...