PDA

View Full Version : Can a carbonate hardness test (kh) be used to measure alkalinity?

danceswithfish
04/09/2007, 05:01 PM
I have been trying to find a test that I can use to measure alkalinity and my lfs just got a kh test in. Will this work?

Thanks

Blake

Billybeau1
04/09/2007, 05:05 PM
kh is carbonate hardness. What brand is the test kit ?

danceswithfish
04/09/2007, 05:08 PM
It is a Hagen brand test. So, cannot be used to measure alkalinity?

Billybeau1
04/09/2007, 06:00 PM
Yes but............. I nor others have not found the Hagen kit very accurate. Sorry.

danceswithfish
04/09/2007, 11:54 PM
Thanks, for the info. That kind of sucks because I don't think I can get my hands on any other brands of test kits in my area. What brand do you recomend?

Sk8r
04/10/2007, 12:08 AM
If that's what you've got, just be meticulous with it and keep a written log of your tests: it will show you trends, which, with the behavior of your specimens, is the info you most want. A good log book is a real good asset, keeping you ahead of disasters, because you can see the direction things are going---and that also is very important info.

Bri Guy
04/10/2007, 12:30 AM
I just ran out of my bottle of KH hagen test kit. (I went with Salifert this round, recomended by everybody! it seems) Im not sure if the hagen test was accurate or not, but if I didn't dose for a couple of days, Id get a lower test reading, so as Sk8r sayd, write a log and you will see fluctuations in your levels. + Its better than some people who don't even test, but are dosing!

Billybeau1
04/10/2007, 08:39 AM
For Alkalinity, I use Salifert. You can order them online and have them shipped right to your door. :)

danceswithfish
04/10/2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks! I think I am going to give the Hagen kh test a try untill I go to Vancouver BC and can find a Salifert test.

Anyone have any luck with a Hagen calcium test?

I am trying to get my kh and calcium in the right spot to grow coraline and basically practice the procedure so I can keep sps corals one day

mwwhite
04/10/2007, 12:44 PM
I didn't see your question answered directly. Carbonate Hardness is a way to measures alkalinity. It's stated in German degrees of Carbonate Hardness (dKH). Alkalinity is stated in in milli-equivalents per Liter (meq/L). You can convert from dKH to meq/L by dividing by 2.8.

I just bought a Salifert test kit. $12 for 100-200 tests. We'd been using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, which is a little cheaper. Both are suitable. Sorry - no experience with Hagen.

Bryan
04/10/2007, 06:59 PM
You may be confusing test kits which measure GH, these are for freshwater measurements. A kit which measures KH is what you need,

J&L Aquatics has the Saliferts in stock and does mail order.

Hagen calcium test kit is worthless, endpoint is impossible to determine with any accuracy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9691711#post9691711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by danceswithfish
Thanks! I think I am going to give the Hagen kh test a try untill I go to Vancouver BC and can find a Salifert test.

Anyone have any luck with a Hagen calcium test?

I am trying to get my kh and calcium in the right spot to grow coraline and basically practice the procedure so I can keep sps corals one day

smpolyp
04/10/2007, 10:49 PM
I beleive in meq/L for the true meurement of alkalinity. Salilifet test kits seem to be very good as stated by Billybeau1.

smpolyp
04/10/2007, 10:52 PM
sorry that was measurement.