PDA

View Full Version : Hypo with live rock?

grwoolf
04/09/2007, 07:53 PM
I think I have Ick in my main tank and I was going to pull all the fish out and do hypo treatment in my 20g. I currently have about 30 pounds of live rock in the 20g along with a HOB filter. I had used the 20g to cure some live rock and didn't end up needing all of it. It's been set up about 5 weeks now and Amonia/Nitrite has been 0 for almost 2 weeks. My question for Hypo is do I need to remove all the live rock? I know hypo will kill any inverts that might be hiding, but I am most concerned about having max. bio load capacity if I move all my fish from the main tank. Would the live rock help with the bio load or hurt? I also figured the fish would prefer a more natural environment vs. pvc pipe for hiding. Is hypo with live rock a good idea?

arizona tech
04/09/2007, 08:10 PM
no dont hypo with lr it will kill the rock and cause your ammonia, take the fish out and hypo them in the other tank and leave the rock in your main fishless for 6-8 weeks, i have used 2"pvc tees and fake coral in my qt tanks with no problem

DouglasTiede
04/10/2007, 11:46 AM
I use heavy thick walled drinking glasses ( like the ones from bars ) they hold up well and the fish love them.
They think they are LR. When you are done with the QT you can wash them and be safe.