PDA

View Full Version : sea horses and mangroves

discotu
04/09/2007, 11:22 PM
i will be setting up a mangrove "lagoon" in a separate tank tied to my main reef display. Can I keep sea horses with mangroves? what is the minimum water depth i would need for the sea horses in general?

thanks!

seas_inside
04/10/2007, 05:18 PM
Yes, mangroves are fine for seahorses and great for the tank. The minimum height would be about three times the height of the seahorse you plan to keep. A mangrove lagoon sounds very interesting, keep us updated. I'd love to hear more about your setup (gallons, substrate, what species of horses you plan to keep, as well as species of mangroves, number of each...)

seas_inside
04/10/2007, 05:20 PM
After rereading your post, I noticed you said "separate tank tied to my main reef display". I would edge you away from this, they are kept at different temperatures, and changing either would be detrimental in a bad way. There are a few other "no-no's" for connecting reef and SH setups, but I can't think of them right now.

However, a completely separate tank (not connected) mangrove lagoon would be wonderful.

discotu
04/11/2007, 09:29 PM
thanks for the heads up! Looks like I'll have to do a little more research on sea horses!