PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer overflowing

Humuhumunuku
04/10/2007, 11:29 AM
I have a Turboflotor 1000 set up in my 135g tank. A while ago it started filling up too fast. We have not used any medications, and I can't really figure out why it is doing this. It is adjusted to provide the "driest" skimming, yet it completely fills up in a matter of hours, mostly with water. We have tried doing several large water changes, and adding extra activated carbon. I don't think its a problem with the water I am adding because the skimmer I have in my other tank is working just fine. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

chacha
04/10/2007, 12:05 PM
Not really sure, but drill a hole in the side of your collection cup with a tub that emptys into a larger holder.

Humuhumunuku
04/11/2007, 05:10 PM
Normally that would be a good idea, but in this case, that would just empty my tank. It fills in minute or less!

Blown 346
04/11/2007, 05:43 PM
My skimmer goes nuts like this once and awhile just out of the blue. I just clean the sucker, and adjust the it to the lowest possible setting. Then slowly raise it after a few hours.

Creetin
04/11/2007, 06:32 PM
Any conditioner in the water you use for waterchange, or used some epoxy for frags?
That wil make em go nutty like that. I would suggest dumping the first few cups out if thats the case.

elegance coral
04/11/2007, 06:35 PM
Check the discharge. Is it blocked by anythig?

skwirl
04/11/2007, 06:43 PM
also make sure the venturi is not blocked at all.. whatever air is not going through there will be replaced with water.

Humuhumunuku
04/11/2007, 11:34 PM
Lets see, no water conditioners are being used (RO water only), and there is no epoxy in my tank. As for the possibility of blockage...there doesn't appear to be any in a preliminary check, so as soon as I have the time, I'll strip it down and clean the whole thing.