PDA

View Full Version : best acclimation of sps unmounted frags???

kinerson
04/10/2007, 01:24 PM
I was wondering what the best way to handle freshly cut sps frags. Specifically frags coming from someone elses tank. I will be getting some at the end of the week and I want to do this right. I have heard and experienced fresh cut frags dying as a result of glueing them once I recieved them (rtn). I have heard it's better to let them adjust to your system 4-5 days on the bottom of the tank in an icecube tray or eggcrate etc. Then, after this amount of time, it's safer to mount and place them in position. I would love to hear the thoughts and experiences from fellow reefers in this regaurd?
Thanks,
Greg

reefgeek84
04/10/2007, 02:31 PM
I have never had a problem gluing fresh cut frags, as long as you use super glue gel. The putty is a bad thing to use, cause of it generating quite a bit if heat. The only people that I know that have said anything about not gluing frags after you get them is reefermadness...I have never understood why.

Frankysreef
04/10/2007, 05:35 PM
BS! putty works fine. I've used it many times... and the coral grows over the putty eventually.

BLKTANG
04/10/2007, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9694313#post9694313 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Frankysreef
BS! putty works fine. I've used it many times... and the coral grows over the putty eventually.

I agree,i have always used puddy with no ill effects.

reefkoi
04/11/2007, 03:58 PM
me too I use the putty on all frags they encrust over it within a couple weeks

Philwd
04/11/2007, 04:27 PM
I gave several people in town fresh cut Bali green slimer frags and more than half rtn'd overnight. I replaced them all but waited 4 days after cutting. All lived. OTOH other fresh cuts frags to the same people same time had no problem. Seems to be coral specific.

SueT
04/11/2007, 04:37 PM
I always glue my new fresh frags up immediately after acclimation and have never had any kind of problem doing so.

Frankysreef
04/11/2007, 05:33 PM
I have only had issues with frags that are tiny...

I WILL NEVER buy a frag that is less than an inch again.

I am tired of those little guys, takes too long to grow, and too hard on em.

MammothReefer
04/11/2007, 06:01 PM
ya i use putty and glue together (when I had putty) only way i can get my stuff to stick glue the frag to the puttty, and the put glue at the back of the putty and squish it on the rock.

If i don't glue my frags down right away.. They get lost in my rock work.

danskim
04/11/2007, 06:11 PM
Haha yeah I've lost a few frags behind the rock work... luckily never ones I just bought but usually something I fragged by accident.
But I think in general it's best to wait a little to super glue down fresh frags (as in a couple days). I don't have scientific evidence, but the reaction of super glue hardening is exothermic. The heat caused can sometimes kill frags.

Hendersonracing
04/11/2007, 08:12 PM
so do most people glue them to rocks on the bottom for a week or so then move them up???

bogg
04/11/2007, 09:01 PM
I just glue frags above the waters surface then stick them in quickly. GARF has a great video on this. In summary they have the coral out of the tank in hand. Then they have a bowl of water they use to dip the coral in right after they glue it, then put it into the tank. Supposedly to cool the glue quickly. I use the "duro" brand superglue. It is really thick and works great.

Philwd
04/11/2007, 10:14 PM
I do this too. I put the frag in a cup of tank water for 10 min to let the glue set.

Justin/TiV
04/12/2007, 12:16 AM
I've pretty much done it all these ways...and never lost a frag, even little tiny ones...I've had frags that were basically just encrustation over rubble or a plug.

But my favorite is the rubble, glue, putty, gel, smoosh the frag in method....I don't always want the frags on rubble, sometime I glue them sideways onto the rock. it will grown alot faster this way, cause way more polyps are getting hit with light...

gasman059
04/12/2007, 06:08 AM
[QUOTE]so do most people glue them to rocks on the bottom for a week or so then move them up???
I do wait- just placed them on top of an eggcrate(bottom) for a couple of days(after dipping) to try to reduce stress of my lights if for nothing else. Another imp reason is time i just dont have the frikin time to do it right away- and if I rush LMAO all kind of bad stuff happens LOL-knock this one down move that rock etc.. So anytime I get frags( not as often now) i give myself some serious time usually over the weekend to take care of possible disasters. Just my two cents(rocks move corals fall -u get ****ed- u can't go to dinner -GET THE PICTURE!)
BTW I use IC-gel ONLY.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n320/gasman059/IMG_3485.jpg[/IMG]
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n320/gasman059/IMG_2363.jpg[/IMG]

SueT
04/12/2007, 07:21 AM
I use the glue, epoxy, glue method too. Once they are down with this there is nothing that can knock them over.

gasman, I sure do like that frag up front in your first pic. ;)

Justin/TiV
04/12/2007, 09:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9706020#post9706020 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gasman059
I do wait- just placed them on top of an eggcrate(bottom) for a couple of days(after dipping) to try to reduce stress of my lights if for nothing else. Another imp reason is time i just dont have the frikin time to do it right away- and if I rush LMAO all kind of bad stuff happens LOL-knock this one down move that rock etc.. So anytime I get frags( not as often now) i give myself some serious time usually over the weekend to take care of possible disasters. Just my two cents(rocks move corals fall -u get ****ed- u can't go to dinner -GET THE PICTURE!)
BTW I use IC-gel ONLY.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n320/gasman059/IMG_3485.jpg[/IMG]
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n320/gasman059/IMG_2363.jpg[/IMG]

I'll prolly turn my fuge into a frag tank soon. but to do so, I need another MH...actually I have an extra...but it's 400w...and that over a 20 gallon seems silly...lol. Thought about getting a 150 HQI. I hear they have really nice output.

Where did you get your plugs...or did you make them

gasman059
04/12/2007, 11:06 AM
argonite and conrete mix