PDA

View Full Version : where to find TOTM nano cube???? can you put seahorses in them??

agoutihead
04/10/2007, 02:29 PM
i want to do a nano cube like the tank of the months. its really awesome.

im going to do the same light and all.

but does anyone know where you can find a tank like that online with no black stripping around it like on a normal tank?

i would also like to do corals and a couple small fish and sea horses.... can you do sea horses in a little nano like that?

agoutihead
04/10/2007, 02:41 PM
hellolights has the same light but in 70w...

http://www.hellolights.com/ocli70whqiam.html

do you think that this would be a little better suited for a tank this small, or the 150 is fine and isnt overkill?

oddly enough, the 70w is more expensive, but im not worried about 10 bucks, just the best scenario for my tank.

spleen93
04/10/2007, 03:25 PM
Not a good idea generally to mix sea horses and a reef tank. the amount of flow necessary for a reef tank is not conducive to sea horse longevity (they'll end up getting plastered against the intakes of the powerheads or spending so much energy fighting the current that they won't be able to eat). The dimensions on that TOTM are going to be hard to replicate here in the states - that's essentially a 12 inch cube. You'll probably need to go acrylic and possibly even custom made.

Spleen

agoutihead
04/10/2007, 03:29 PM
man that sucks! couldnt i just possibly keep the flow a little lower than normal to help the sea horse out?

it doesnt need to be dominated by sps, but a few would be nice. mostly lps and a clam.

wouldnt it also be cheaper to just order a tank out of the country like that and have it shipped? its still gotta be cheaper than building one?

agoutihead
04/10/2007, 05:13 PM
do you guys think 70 w is plenty for a 9 gallon? or the 150 is better since i want crocea and maxima clams?

spleen93
04/11/2007, 12:41 AM
You going to move the clams out of the tank when they grow? Even a crocea will outgrow a tank that size. With light hungry clams like crocea and maximas, the more light the better.

If you can find a place that will sell you the tank from overseas and won't charge you an arm and a leg to ship it, it might be cheaper, yes. But that's the hard part.

Nanos are particularly hard to maintain stable parameters in - often times, it requires heavy doses of automation to accomplish stability in such a small amount of water volume. This is especially true with parameter sensitive organisms like SPS.

Spleen

davidryder
04/11/2007, 12:46 AM
The more important thing for seahorses is the height of the tank (the higher the better) because they are more vertical swimmers than horizontal. Most of their time is spent attached to some sort of vertical post with their tails. They require very little flow and don't require the pristine conditions corals do. You could setup a cheap 35g hex with very simple equipment with seahorses.

spleen93
04/11/2007, 01:19 AM
My old seahorse tank used to have a sponge filter :lol: Also had live rock growing caulerpa for the horses to use as hitches and a daylight fluorescent to feed the algae.

Spleen

Frick-n-Frags
04/11/2007, 06:40 AM
agouti, did you ever see Jimmie's tank out in columbia station?

he had a stand that held a 180 and a hex on the end for his gonioporas and his seahorses. a fuge if you will :D

heh, jimmy is one of those guys who has the "goni-den touch"
they were massive in almost zero flow for the horses

agoutihead
04/11/2007, 04:22 PM
are you talking out at aquactic tech? yeah i remember them, he hasnt had too many in lately.