PDA

View Full Version : Gonopora, GSP common reasons they close?

ppht
04/10/2007, 02:52 PM
I have had 3 GSP's that people say grow like weeds yet I can get one to open. I also have a gonopora that was open for abit then closed up. My Temp, ALK, Calc, PH, Magn, Nitrates, Ammonia are all in the target regions. What are some other reasons that might cause coral to close up?

T Man
04/10/2007, 06:39 PM
Typically too much water flow or not enough flow will keep them both closed- alternate the flow if possible and expiriment with the placement. Also keep them out of the reach of any other corals that could possibly "sting" them.
The star polyps are fairly hardy, however the Goniopora is an extremely difficult to satisfy- once they start to decline, there is a good chance that you will lose it. I have been fortunate to have been successful with my Goni for about four years, but on the other hand I had a colony of GSP in the same tank that was slowly killed off by a small snail that was eating it alive- I finally removed it , but it was too late. It might be a good idea to check you GSP's for anything that could be embedded in the "flesh". Hope this helps. TinMan

ppht
04/10/2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks
I think the GSP is all done as it is almost all rock.
The Goni has it's moments and I moved it to another spot.
I keep trying.