PDA

View Full Version : Lion stinging puffer?

xhaust50
04/10/2007, 04:21 PM
Water parameters for reference:
55G tank w/ 4" Green Spotted Puffer, 4" Dwarf Zebra Lion, 4" Flame Angel

SG 1.025
Temp 76
ph 8.2
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate 0
ca 460
dkh 9

My green spotted puffer has again a perfect line down his center, where everything infront of it is colored perfectly and everything behind it is faded. He had this two weeks ago, and it cleared up after a few days but he also had a cloudy eye for the time. I personally saw him bump into the Lion's fins last night, but he didn't seem to respond at all. Today he has the color fade. Both eyes look okay for now. He also turns down food, which he did for two days the first time. Is he being stung by my Dwarf Zebra Lion? I've had the puffer for nearly two years and the Lion for five months, and although I love him I'll definitely get rid of the Lion if this is what's happening. I just wanted to run it by some professionals to make sure this is indeed possible. All opinions welcome.

justinl
04/10/2007, 05:16 PM
lions don't move much whereas puffers are more mobile and always curious. Ive heard of puffers accidentally bumping into lions so i suppose it's entirely possible.

*shrug* don't know what else to say

xhaust50
04/10/2007, 06:38 PM
The puffer definitely bumped into the Lion's fins. The puffer was clumsily chasing food and the lion wasn't moving. The only thing is he didn't flip out or anything. Originally I thought the lion's sting would affect him instantly, but I only notice discoloration the next day. I just want to make sure this is what's happening so I don't get rid of my Lion for no reason.

rdumont55
04/10/2007, 06:39 PM
Not to be the reaper on this, but I had a lion fish sting my puffer during feeding one time. Well the puffer's colors fated more each day, and he died within a week.

justinl
04/10/2007, 07:09 PM
okay i want to be clear here. did the puffer bump into the dorsal spines? or some other fins? because only the dorsal spines on a lion are actually venomous.

xhaust50
04/10/2007, 07:57 PM
He touched the top spines, which are the venemous ones on a Zebra Lion. Sounds like he was deinitely stung. I guess I'm getting rid of the lion if the puffer comes around.

PS - This would be the second time he was stung, and he also spent anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours on my carpet about a year ago when he jumped out of a 2" opening in the top of my tank. I thought he was dead and was going to flush him but I gave him a shot in the water anyway. I couldn't tell if he was moving in the net or if it was the current but he eventually came around. Looked awful for about 3 days and couldn't really swim for the first couple of hours but he came around. That's why I'll definitely choose him over the lion. Weird, as much as my flame angel swims around he hasn't bumped into the lion once. I'll keep my fingers crossed the next few days and then look to move my lion elsewhere. Thanks.

FMarini
04/10/2007, 08:55 PM
ya know-
i'm not sure what to say here. just brushing a spine of a lionfish does not guarentee he gets a venom injection. This is an active procress, much like being bit by a rattle snake. I'm not negating that after the puffer looks bad, he may have been impaled on the spine, no doubt, but if he recieved a dose of venom hes be down on the bottom breathing heavy.
Now I won't discount the fact that after being stuck he doesn't get an infection from all the bacteria allowed into the hole, but i wouldn't blame the lion here.
Reads to me that the puffer threw himself onto the lion, so maybe after he survive this impalement, he might learn. After all thats what those venomous spines are for, to keep fish from jumping on scorpionfish
Actually not only are the dorsal spines venomous, but the anal spines as well.

justinl
04/10/2007, 09:09 PM
oh yeah, anal spines too. my bad.

the problem with a puffer that i see though is that they aren't very... agile. in fact they're pretty bad swimmers from what ive seen. Maybe that's why the flame angel has been okay? dunno, just putting it out there.

Dischirm
04/11/2007, 04:56 PM
I had a puffer who was definately stung by my dwarf lion. The area turned dark and his eyes got the "cloudy puffer look" but within a week he was fine again. I wish the best for yours!!

rdumont55
04/11/2007, 06:00 PM
I want to add that the lionfish was 12" and the puffer was the same size. He got stung so bad that 4 of the dorsal spikes were bent over.

xhaust50
04/11/2007, 08:35 PM
Puffer is still discolored but his eyes are clear and he is eating again, so I'm pretty sure he will be fine. This is the second incident though, so I don't think my puffer will learn. I agree it is not the Lion's fault, the puffer is just a really clumsy swimmer and follows food without paying attention to where he is going. I'm currently trying to give away my Lionfish because I have had the puffer for two years and the Lion for only 5 months.