PDA

View Full Version : Evap and water changes on 240 gallon?

Scoobaman17
04/10/2007, 07:10 PM
I have a small auto top off system I'll use but with a tnak this large with twin 250 watt mh's and a 150 w mh I know the water will evap quikly. What water would everyone use? Sink water chemically treated, store front ro water?, or arrowhead water from the store? I've been told all three and want one final solution.

Also, how much weekly water change would you do on a tank this large with about a 80 gallon sump and a huge refugium, "around 30-50 gallon fuge"?

Thanks all for all your help!

One more thing: whats cheaper better? Self mixed saltwater, or store baught saltwater? I use store baught right now to do a 5 gallon weekly water change on my 25 gallon aquapod reef.

Scoobaman17
04/10/2007, 10:58 PM
bump

chris wright
04/11/2007, 05:40 AM
If you can afford it get an ro/di unit. I use tap water at the moment, cant afford a ro/di unit and dont have the room for it. Treated tap water is ok, but if your keeping a reef get the ro/di, find the money. I have a fish only set up, ive seen reef tanks using tap water, they are to hard to keep clean,

Prepare your own salt mixes. If you do a 10% water change 25gallons, you are going to spend an unneccesary amount of money, plus you have to transport the water.

Buy the salt in as big a quantity as you can, keep it dry. This is the cheapest, and you know when your going to run out. I have seen the local fish shop sell out all of his salt and not have any ordered.

Also but a plastic garbage bin, air pump and stone, spare heater and your on your way. Find somewhere to set it up, put your water, heater, airstone in then add your salt. 1 cup of salt per say 2 gallons of water, then test your specific gravity.

An refractometer is a good investment, or a hydrometer if you cant afford the other. The above mix wont be strong enough, but it will get you started.

Water change volume is your own preference. Some aquarists dont do water changes, some do 5 or 10%. Personally id do 25 galls either weekly or fortnightly.

Evaporated water, similar to the salt water mix. Set up a bin and airate your water, especially if using tap water. The dirt and rubbish settles out of the water. Clean your bins occasionally by the way. You will have to work out the evaporation as it varies from tank to tank. I would set up a decent size resoviour so your pump has plenty of water. Buffer this water to the same pH as your tank, and this water should be heated, not hot water out of the tap.

Additives if needed should be researched before adding. get tesst kits, dont add anything without knowing your water parameters.

Keep searching this site and try this one

wetwebmedia (http://www.wetwebmedia.com)

Its very informative. Good luck and enjoy.

Chris

Scoobaman17
04/11/2007, 10:28 AM
WOW, thank you so much!

chris wright
04/11/2007, 09:06 PM
No worries mate. Just take your time and do as much research as possible. The more you learn, the more money youll save your self in the long run. Mistakes are costly, and the less you make the better. ;)