PDA

View Full Version : fish that eats hair algae??

scapes
04/10/2007, 09:57 PM
I started a 55g in oct 06. I didn't want fish as I wanted to start a macro tank. I have a good stand of caulerpa prolifera but an ABUNDANCE of hair algae. it's consuming my corals. i bought a sea hare about a month ago. it ate my hair algae until it found my caulerpa and ate it instead. it died two days ago. so I don't want another one of those.

my question is...?
is there a fish that will eat the hair but not the caulerpa prolifera?

thanks for all your help

Garlicman2006
04/10/2007, 10:05 PM
Yellow Mimic Tang (Acanthurus pyroferus). I have had one for almost 8 months and (s)he does a great job with controlling hair algae. And its a beautiful fish!

AquaReeferMan
04/11/2007, 03:19 AM
Foxface.

mile sq. reefer
04/11/2007, 11:05 AM
Zebrasoma tangs and foxface.

BrianD
04/11/2007, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't recommend a tang or a foxface for a 55 gallon tank. I would also question whether either of those fish would eat hair algae and leave caluerpa untouched.

CaptRon
04/11/2007, 11:09 AM
Will algae blenny's eat HA?

BrianD
04/11/2007, 11:10 AM
I would remove all the hair algae possible by hand. By doing so, you also remove the nutrients the hair algae has absorbed.

scapes
04/11/2007, 11:50 AM
thank you for all your suggestions....

brianD...I have removed hair algae until I am blue in the face. siphon, hand, scrape...etc...:( since day one

I have a foxface in my 80g, I didn't really want another one. I think it might possibly eat the caulerpa

thanks for the input....anymore ideas???

anjhof
04/11/2007, 12:41 PM
You have to stop the source that is feeding the hair algae. Are you using tap water? Are you overfeeding?
Improving your flow in the tank will help to keep the algae down too.
If you cut off what the algae feeds on, it will eventually die off. Just keep pulling out as much as you can. Get some phoszorb, improve your flow, don't use tap water. Eventually it will go away - it is just a long battle.
If you try to battle it with adding fish that eat it, you will never win.

BrianD
04/11/2007, 01:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9699760#post9699760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anjhof
You have to stop the source that is feeding the hair algae. Are you using tap water? Are you overfeeding?
If you cut off what the algae feeds on, it will eventually die off. Just keep pulling out as much as you can. Get some phoszorb, improve your flow, don't use tap water. Eventually it will go away - it is just a long battle.

:thumbsup:

scapes
04/11/2007, 03:28 PM
You have to stop the source that is feeding the hair algae. Are you using tap water?
I have maybe 10 little crabs and corals. feed the crabs those pellet foods several times a week, and feed the coral mysis several times too.

Are you overfeeding?
I have maybe 10 little crabs and corals. feed the crabs those pellet foods several times a week, and feed the coral mysis several times too.

I originally had a very LOW flow tank. just bought a rio 1100, has massive flow. it's pointed directly at the wall, still no effect.

If you cut off what the algae feeds on, it will eventually die off.
my temp stays at around 76-78 degrees. I probably have WAY TOO MUCH light. 8x54w to be exact. corals love it, guessing Hair does too.

Just keep pulling out as much as you can. Get some phoszorb, improve your flow, don't use tap water. Eventually it will go away - it is just a long battle.
phoszorb...could do

I won in my 80g b/c sailfin and foxface take care of any greenness. not even a speck, so so far the fish are winning

thanks for your help

anjhof
04/11/2007, 04:30 PM
What kind of corals do you have? feeding most corals mysis is probably not necessary.
I think you mistyped your answer to your water source.
Have your water tested for phosphates. They feed the algae.
It is a long process. You basically have to starve the algae.
Getting fish to eat it can work, but typically you are only putting a band-aid on the the problem. Remember, the more algae your fish eat, the more they produce waste, which in turns feeds the algae again. You have to stop the cycle. Probably the best method would be to find out what is feeding the algae correct it.
FYI, a SEIO 1100 in a 55 is not going to produce a lot of flow. It depends on what types of corals you are keeping. If you have corals that can tolerate/thrive in a high flow tank, you could easily add 1 or 2 more of them before worrying about having too much flow. (I see you have seahorses - this much flow probably would not agree with them) What kind of filter/skimmer are you running? Are you doing water changes? If you have hair algae, you have an abundance of nutrients in your tank. The trick is to get it out and prevent it from coming back.

kenoobi
04/11/2007, 07:00 PM
This is not a fish but a mithrax crab will eat hair algae. They get big and well, crabby though quickly, so I would not advise adding one to a tank with small docile fish.

The scarlet leg hermits appear to eat hair algae, and they are the most peaceful of all hermits, in my opinion.

banga13
04/12/2007, 01:59 PM
have a hair algae problem as well, got the lm blenny and he didn't touch it. Added a foxface and it started picking at the hair algae within minutes of being introduced to the tank. I have only had the foxface for a few days but already see improvement.

karid
04/13/2007, 10:44 AM
Get some turbos. I battled a long war with hair algae (months and months) and tried everything (increasing flow, decreasing the time the lights were on, etc). The only thing that worked was getting a bunch of mexican turbo snails and pulling it out (over and over again). When you pull it out, make sure to get the nub where it was connected to the rock. If you don't get that, it will just grow back.

jda
04/13/2007, 01:30 PM
^^^

Turbos will mow it down. Don't get just like one of them either - it will take more than that. You want mexican turbos not astreas (which some people call turbos).

karid
04/13/2007, 01:35 PM
Yea, I got 8 for my 90g. It took a while, but the hair is all gone off all the powerheads, the overflow box, the back of the tank (which was a solid wavy green mat), and most of the rocks. We're still working on the rocks...

Cubman777
04/13/2007, 02:19 PM
you cant do better than a foxface (or any rabbitfish) or a lawnmower blenny (they dont call it that for nothin!)

Zoom
04/13/2007, 07:55 PM
I find not many fish will eat HA . If they do they spit it back out very fast.