PDA

View Full Version : 100 gallon setup -- doing this right?

oxkisses12ox
04/10/2007, 09:57 PM
okay so i am setting up my own tank and i cannot drill anything into the tank ... or sump

so ...

i wanted to do my display tank with two pumps ...
one pump that takes water from the display tank into the sump and one pump that takes the water from the sump to the display tank.. and then i would hook up a protein skimmer on the sump and a regular filter hanging from my sump... you know the basic ones that you put the cartrige in with the carbon packets inside... and i would put live rock and sand inside the sump (without a light if possible) and bags of carbon in the water since my skimmer isnt going to be so large... how does this sound???

Hop
04/10/2007, 10:10 PM
Won't work. Sorry. Why can you not drill your tank?

You could buy a used U-Tube over flow, which if plumbed right and kept clean, should give you trouble free service.

oxkisses12ox
04/10/2007, 10:28 PM
what is a U tube over flow?? and i cant drill it because i dont know how! and i dont want to have any leakage lol .........

davidryder
04/10/2007, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't bother drilling it, but you can usually get the overflow boxes at your LFS.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_overflow_boxes_cpr.asp?CartId=

It's a way to get the overflowing water from the tank to the sump.

If you don't plan on using the sump for anything but a sump sand would IMO be unnecessary.

Hop
04/10/2007, 10:59 PM
:lol: Might be a good time spending some serious study time in the lighting/filtration and DIY threads:) If your not sure how to drill, have a glass company do it. It usually runs about $20 a hole and you only need one or two.

All this stuff seems complicated, but the more you read and learn, the easier it becomes:)

If after you do some studying and searching and still have some questions, look me up or post more questions.

corals b 4 bills
04/10/2007, 11:18 PM
I Have an external over flow and a sump and IMO I don't think my tank would be where it is without them.

Tang Salad
04/11/2007, 04:19 AM
True that it won't work, because you'll never get the two pumps to pump equal amounts of water. They'll alwas be slightly off, resulting in flooding.

Either drill the tank (best option) or use a hang-on-the-tank overflow/siphon tube.

oxkisses12ox
04/11/2007, 12:06 PM
i would love to do the drilling, but if i took it to a glass company how do i get the pumps to fit perfectly in the hole? without ANY leakage

Hop
04/11/2007, 01:32 PM
It's called a bulkhead. Like I said, please go do some reading and inspecting of some build threads:) It will explain a ton and hopefully you can find a direction you like and head toward it:)

Good Luck!