PDA

View Full Version : Why won't my zoanthids open up

rwing
04/11/2007, 10:55 AM
I have a 125 g tank that I setup about 3 months ago. I have cycled the tank and have 5 fish in it now. I have purchased some zoanthids that have not opened up for almost a month now. I recently read that they can be sensitive to high alkalinity....which is one area that I have been high. My water parameters are as follows....sg 1.023, Ammo 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Calc 560, Alk 12 dkh(recently down from a high of 18 dkh), Phos 0. I have been changing 10 gallons of water every day for about 10 days now and my alk is coming down. I am using compact flourescents 12,000k with blue actinics. In the last few days my zoanthids will open up about 1/3 of the way for a while then close again. They don't appear to be dying, just won't open up. I also am having problems keeping snails alive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

geoxman
04/11/2007, 01:50 PM
get the salinity up a bit. The high alk wont hurt anything-IMHO
How many watts of light, are they power compacts, where are they placed in the tank, how much flow is on them and what kind of flow?
Why is your Ca so high? Are you dosing Ca, if so, why? What other corals do you have in the tank?

I have no idea on the snails but I would get everything else in check before you add anything more. good luck!

ChurchBoy
04/11/2007, 02:51 PM
Try dipping them in providone iodine it might help kill any infections and zoas really love it. Do a 20 minute dip in a gallon of RO/DI water with several drops of providone. You can get the stuff at Wall Greens.