PDA

View Full Version : What eats flatworms?

steph30
04/11/2007, 12:57 PM
As luck would have it, I have flatworms in my small 9 gallon nano. I had considered using flatworm exit but since I have no fish I'm now wondering if there is a fish that eats flatworms that could be happy in a tank this small. I also have plumbed in a 2.5 gallon refugium so I also have a steady supply of copepods. I had considered a mandarin but given that they are very hard to feed I'm afraid to try it given that he would quickly exhaust his food supply and it's hit and miss if they'll accept being target fed.

Stephanie

PSam
04/11/2007, 01:37 PM
A mandarin in 9 gallons? Terrible idea, imo.

I wouldn't trust FWE on 9 gallons. The dead flatworms could quickly poison that much water.

Siphon the flatworms. They'll cycle out soon enough.

cschwaj
04/11/2007, 01:47 PM
A sixline wrasse will usually eat them, but are too big for a 9 gallon. I did the flatworm exit on my 2.5 gallon and it went fine.

The key is to follow the directions closely. Siphon as many out as possible ahead of time and the results of the die-off are significantly reduced. None of my corals or inverts showed any signs of distress during or after the treatment. I am flatworm-free after two shots about a week apart. It has been a month since then.

mangus7175
04/11/2007, 05:33 PM
I was lucky enough when I had my flatworm problem that they were all on the rocks and not on the sand bed. Simple no-chem treatment was a 15 second dip of my LR on RO water. Flatworms are very sensitive to salinity changes that a slight change to it they lose their grip....worth a try. Only drawback was my loss of copepods but were easily replenished with the Chaeto in my refugium.

Good Luck

Grunt
04/11/2007, 10:45 PM
Sixline, eightline wrasses. Sometimes a four lined wrasse. I had to do flatworm exit because my infestation was so great. Een after siphoning, scrubbing rocks, etc. None of my corals were harmed by the chemical, i'd use it again if I had too.
Cheers

Grunt
04/11/2007, 10:46 PM
I forgot ot mention if used correctly with the chems, you can mess things up if put in way too much.
Cheers

steph30
04/12/2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been siphoning but it only makes a temporary dent in the problem. I'm going to keep siphoning and try the flatworm exit at it's lowest recommended dosage. I had heard the sixline would eat them but it doesn't seem like a 9 gallon is big enough for one.

I'll be sure and update the thread after I've treated my tank.

Thanks again,
Stephanie

CletusKlump
04/12/2007, 03:55 PM
Be sure to use plenty of carbon and have enough SW for a 50% water change. Trust me it might get scary............just read up on it and follow the directions.

JM