PDA

View Full Version : I think I might have screwed up.

SquidHC
04/11/2007, 09:09 PM
So like 4 months ago when I set my tank up I didnt rinse the sand. A few days ago I decided it was time to redo a ton of stuff in my tank. I broke it all down to prep for drilling and such for a sump and put all my sand in a tub with some tank water and a small powerhead. The sand was absolutely filthy so I figured Id rinse it before putting it back in the tank tonight. My dumb *** went and rinsed it with tap water... Am I totaly screwed? Am I going to have to re cycle my tank to get the bacteria back? Im a little worried about this. Thanks in advance.

FLReefGirl
04/11/2007, 09:12 PM
Do you have Live Rock?

HornetMech242
04/11/2007, 09:15 PM
I dont think that you are screwed. You deffinitely lost bacteria when you rinsed the sand. I think If you have enough live rock you will be fine. Make up some change salt water in case you need to start doing some water changes and keep an eye on parameters until you are through this.

Chris

SquidHC
04/11/2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah I have about 70 lbs of live rock and about 50 lbs of good clean base rock that has been mixed in a live rock tank for the last month or so. Ill add it and watch it like a hawk I guess.

I can get a cup of live sand from my LFS for free out of one of there live rock tanks. Should I do this?

HornetMech242
04/11/2007, 10:40 PM
Yea, i would go ahead and get that cup of sand. That will help jump start the bacteria in the sand.

Chris

kenny77
04/11/2007, 11:00 PM
try to get several cup from diferent tank. this will seed your tank will all kind of bacteria. if you can get some from the LFS but also from some friend with a reef tank. make shure is has been stablished for ast leas 1 year

SquidHC
04/11/2007, 11:33 PM
I dont have any friends with reef tanks =( Reguardless Ill get some sand from a few of the LFS's tanks and start it up.

My tank isnt going to have to go through another cycle is it?

jer77
04/12/2007, 12:18 AM
I don't think your tank will cycle again especially if you washed the junk out of the sand. I'd wash the sand again but this time with RO/DI water just to make sure you get all of the contaminants out of it from the tap water. That way you'll have some nice clean sand that won't pollute your tank. Also I'd make sure the bacteria in the LR doesn't die off by oxygenating the water you have the rock in with a pump. Hopefully by doing this the bacteria will survive of the nutrients in the water or a little while. But i you wait too long the bacteria will start to die of if there is no food left for it to consume. How long do you plan on taking to drill your tank?

SquidHC
04/12/2007, 03:32 PM
Im setting my tank back up tonight. Im headed to the LFS to get some live sand and some water. Wish me luck.