PDA

View Full Version : removing skimmer

nathenvan
04/11/2007, 09:16 PM
Does removing the skimmer from a reef tank has any effect on it. I am running seaclone 100 on my 65g and and it is (seaclone) useless anyway. I just want to make sure it will not have any bad effect before I pull the plug...thank you and happy reefer!!!

Old Yeller
04/11/2007, 10:59 PM
Did you ask this somewhere else? i could have thought i replied to you,. anyway i would only remove it if i were upgrading it.

dc_909
04/11/2007, 11:03 PM
I would only remove it if it is not skimming a lot. Without a skimmer, I would increase water changes and watch your bioload closer,

Craig Lambert
04/11/2007, 11:17 PM
Removing a skimmer from a 65G tank will have an effect. Removing a seaclone 100 from a 65G will likely have no effect. Not to sound harsh, but it is more a toy than a skimmer.

drummereef
04/11/2007, 11:30 PM
Why not upgrade to a better skimmer rather than remove one all together?

davidryder
04/11/2007, 11:43 PM
If you remove your skimmer, you need something to take its place in detritus removal and nutrient export, such as a refugium (macro colonization) and some polyester floss and carbon. Why do you want to ditch the skimmer?

uscharalph
04/12/2007, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't run my tank without my skimmer.

davidryder
04/12/2007, 12:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9705371#post9705371 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uscharalph
I wouldn't run my tank without my skimmer.

Many people wouldn't. If I wasn't concerned about the pod population (mandarin goby) and arduous attention both my skimmers (MRC MR-1 and AquaC EV-120) required I may still be running a skimmer. Skimmers are wonderful devices, but their duty can be taken by other means.

airinhere
04/12/2007, 12:42 AM
I think the most important issue if you wanted to go skimmerless would be what you have in your tank. SPS only tank, skimmerless would be a bad idea. A few softies and some mushrooms or zoos, maybe you could get away with it. But you would still need something to compensate for the service it provides.
Macroalgae, carbon, tons of liverock, frequent waterchanges. Something.
How long has your tank been set up? What other gear do you have?

andydavis141
04/12/2007, 01:04 AM
i've used sea clone befor and it worked ok(not great) if you have atleast 80-100lbs of sand and a good amount of rock then i wouldn't worrie too much, just keep up on you water changes. but filteration can be very beneficial to your tank and its health.

seaskraP
04/12/2007, 11:06 AM
imho if the skimmer isn't really working anyway i don't think removing it will cause a substantial negative change. assuming you still have proper aeration.
i pulled my very crappy red sea pyramid skimmer after it hadn't skimmed anything in a couple weeks, and all my corals (all softies and LPS) visibly flourished.
i also agree with the above posts. you will need some other type of filtration to replace the skimmer, be it cheato, carbon, purigen, and more frequent water changes.