PDA

View Full Version : Nano lighting question

RumLad
04/12/2007, 10:35 AM
Has anyone tried using Halogen lighting on a nano tank?

What would be the causes of concern or pitfalls of the halogen lights?

Is it the wavelength, coloration etc..

Rosseau
04/12/2007, 10:43 AM
I believe the problem is wavelenght of light emitted. It isn't within the PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) of most zooxanthellae.

I looked it up before, I'll see if I can find the info.

Rosseau
04/12/2007, 10:48 AM
I'm finding that most halogen lamps do emit over a fairly wide spectrum, covering a lot of the average PAR for corals... I think it would work, because some light is emitted within the PAR, yet most of the radiation is outside of it. Thus, you're wasting energy and sending useless radiation at your corals.

RumLad
04/12/2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks Rosseau,

I had another google myself and found most of the same info. It seems that halogens are very much like other incandescants in that some, but not all of the wavelength is useful, but those that are not are well into the red range, which is really good for growing algae's, and then there is the enormous heat issue.

But I have found this very neat little halogen articulated fixture that I just may try on a 3 gal. pico and see how it goes.

dendro982
04/13/2007, 05:50 AM
I had seen somewhere, that halogens are mostly 2,300K. Even daylight spiral bulb produces more and better K rating light - 6,500K.
If you tried to keep the hand under halogen lamp for a few minutes, the heat becomes painful - and the corals will be exposed to this for a long time.

homestar
04/13/2007, 08:10 AM
it's true the halogen will emit a lot of heat so you need to get a chiller, my temp used to go up six degree during the day then drop six in the night.

cschwaj
04/13/2007, 08:54 AM
The "natural daylight" desklamps are actually good pico lights. They are 6.7k and have 27 watts using a small quad bulb. Best of all, a lamp can be had for $20 including the bulb. Replacement bulbs are $10. They do need to be replaced every six months, though. They lose their spectrum faster than typical.