PDA

View Full Version : what to dose?

Deranged-Jester
04/12/2007, 01:47 PM
howdy all,
im setting up a 20g H tank ( 24x12x18 ). 24" coralife PC 2 x 65w. 30lbs caribsea bahama oolite. aqua c remora hang on. fluval 105 with everything taken out( going to be used for phos remover ) and a coralife 9w uv sterilizer piped into the fluval. hydor koralia 1 power head. roughly 35 lbs of totoka and fiji mix.

now that being said. what should i use to dose the tank? it will be mixed reef ( hammer, frog, fox, acans, blasto, candy cane, gsp maybe, xenia, shrooms and zoa's ). i saw the kent marine nano part a and b. i like that its a mix and i dont need to dose 15 diff bottles. or would you guys do c balance. then dose mag / stront and trace elements?

marduc
04/12/2007, 01:50 PM
Here you go! (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php)

BurntOutReefer
04/12/2007, 01:51 PM
IMO...water changes are all you need to replace all the used stuff.
BUT, if you decide to dose, make sure you can test for it.

hmello@bermexin
04/12/2007, 01:52 PM
Don't dose anything for a while. Let the tank stabilize and do the chemistry tests. Your should never dose anything unless you know you need it from testing.
Tests you need to start :
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate.
Tha'ts it.

Deranged-Jester
04/12/2007, 02:01 PM
i do mean once the tank is fully cycled and everything calms down. the slat im using is instant ocean reef crystals. i plan on doing weekly 3 gallon water changes. i dont trust myself with a diy solution for cal / alk. so what commercial 2 part system would you recommend?

xian
04/12/2007, 02:29 PM
What to add depends on what is being removed.

You need the following test kits

Amm, Ntrate Ntrite...For cycling

pH
KH (Carbonate Alkalinity)
Ca calcium
Those need to be monitored frequently. I like b-ionic however get the test kits first.

I also test for
Phosphate to avoid algae
Magnesium to help regulate the KH/calcium balance

I don't test or see a need to dose:
Iodine, Strontium, Molybdenum