PDA

View Full Version : Clam Closed up for the last few days...any ideas??

saltman1
04/12/2007, 05:30 PM
hey all, someone else had this same problem listed in the clam forum but that spot doesn't get the traffic this does so I'll try here. My 5 month old clam started to close up a few days ago. He's been wide open and fine since the day I bought him so something is upsetting him. I recently added 12 small nassarius (spelling?) sand cleaning snails last week and maybe a few days later this problem started. So I moved the clam on a rock today but he still looks the same...any ideas. He's still responding to fish swimming by so I know he's alive...

blue20051
04/12/2007, 06:58 PM
Are sure the nassarius snails are not Welks? Both look very similar. Welks are known to eat clams.

aquarius77
04/13/2007, 12:08 AM
That is also the first thing that came to my mind.

saltman1
04/13/2007, 04:29 PM
I bought them froma very reputable online vendor ,I would hope (assume he knows the difference). After a day on the rock he is out a little more but not much, he's still closes up when a fish goes near him.

Lori M
04/13/2007, 06:14 PM
My crocea clam I've had in the tank for 4 yrs has also been closed for the past 3 days. I think it's a Friday the 13th thing. I'm doing a water change tomorrow as my salinity (usually 1.024) is 1.027. Might be a factor. Good luck with yours.

deuce6371
04/14/2007, 08:06 AM
Examine the clam closely around the base and at the opening of the shell and look for apple seed sized snails. They will rest in the groves of the shell and come out to suck the mantle dry.

reefshadow
04/14/2007, 11:22 AM
Yes, look for pyramid snails. They can occasionally hitchhike in on other mollusks like your snails and then migrate to the clams...

Check parameters, esp. ca, alk and mag.

If the clam is a derasa, squamosa, or gigas, put it back on the sand.

What kind of lighting do you have?

saltman1
04/14/2007, 12:08 PM
Well I placed my crocea back on the sand bed and covered him with a fish box w/ small meshed net (something I bought for adding new additions to the tank so they wouldn't get beat up at first). In less than 12 hours he's already opened almost all the way and looks the best he has. I caught my Hippo tang nipping at him last night which made me realize he was most likely the culprit. Now I need to figure what to do after he's better?? At least he can get light through this net protective box...

corals b 4 bills
04/14/2007, 12:51 PM
It's possible that one climed in him and as a response the clam closed him in.