PDA

View Full Version : Conspic with swollen stomach

sharkbyte1023
04/12/2007, 11:59 PM
I received my new conspic on Tuesday and something wasn't right from the get go. He went directly into QT and found a place to hide and hasn't done much since. I was told he was eating prior to purchase but has shown no interest in anything i have offered. He doesn't even give the food a second glance. I have tried evrything from every type of frozen and flake and little neck clams and nothing. I got him a large rock with sponge and goodies and once again nothing. I know fish can go longer without eating but there is something else going on. I have owned this fish before and this one's personality is lacking. All water parameters are right on. He is just not active at all. He will come out to take a look around every once in awhile but spends most of the time hiding. I noticed when i got him he sort of paddled his fins to keep him upright or in place. He doesn't seem to have a hard time swimming but more of choosing not to swim and struggling to maintain balance. Tonight it looks like the stomach area is becoming swollen. It is not from food so i assume the worst. I treated the tank with prazi pro tonight as sort of a best guess of worms. I have not seen the fish deficate yet so i don't have a definate on the worms. The other thing i was wondering is when i dripped him in..he did pop his head out of the water alot so is it possible he swallowed air? If i don't see any positive signs with the prazi should i try maracyn 2 or something of the sort for a possible bladder infection?I hate treating with meds and when i am sort of guessing at the best treatment. I would appreciate any and all suggestions on a course of action or a possible experience and how you dealt with it and what the outcome was. I don't care about the possible money loss if i lose him but i have waited for this fish for a very long time and don't want him to suffer or starve to death. Thanx...

TerryB
04/13/2007, 12:27 AM
The swelling may be due to gases that some types of vibrio bacteria produce as part of thier metabolism. Maracyn-Two may work if you use a double dose each day for at least 7 days. You can change some water each day before adding the next dose. Another good choice would be furanase, or maybe nitrofurazone. If they all are available then my first choice would be furanase in this instance. The fish isn't going to eat if it has a bad internal bacterial infection. Worry about it eating after you get the infection improving. You don't have much time.

Terry B

sharkbyte1023
04/13/2007, 12:40 AM
Thanx Terry...I was hoping you could offer up some advice. I will be hitting all the local stores looking for the meds today. If i can't find them locally i will order online and overnite them. Do you think i should go ahead and remove the prazi? I have a poly filter ready to go. Like i said i was kind of going blind but in the last 6 hours the stomach swelling has become much more visible. Thanx again.

TerryB
04/13/2007, 12:45 AM
I would remove the prazi because it is not going to help with a bacterial infection. Did the swelling begin before or after adding the prazi?

Terry B

sharkbyte1023
04/13/2007, 01:02 AM
There was some swelling prior to adding the prazi...that is why i added it. Going on a guess of worms. As i have watched the fish since i got home this evening the swelling has become more prominant. Hard to see from a straight on view. It is more visible when he turns on his side. I found a place online that i can get the furanase and they are in my state so hopefully next day delivery but if i can't get it by Saturday would you suggest using the maracyn...which is readily available or hold off to get the other. I know time is of the essence so i will do whatever i need to. He still looks ok...just a little off. Thanx Again...Ken

TerryB
04/13/2007, 01:10 AM
Use what is available immediately and order the furanase. Remember double dose (like the instructions for the first day) EACH and EVERY day for at least 7 days. Furanase is a shorter treatment.

Terry B

sharkbyte1023
04/13/2007, 01:16 AM
Ok...one last thing. I will get the maracyn and order the furanase but you are saying go ahead and follow thru with the maracyn for the 7 days...then remove that and follow with the furanase?

TerryB
04/13/2007, 03:21 PM
I am saying to start the M2 and continue if it seems to be helping, but get the furanase it case it does not. Really need to treat for about 3 days before you can see that it is working. If things are still getting worse then change the medication.

Terry B

sharkbyte1023
04/14/2007, 10:46 AM
Thanx for your help Terry but i lost him last night. I was lied to about the health of the fish from the supplier so i think he was doomed before i even got him.