PDA

View Full Version : Need help with refugium

Jar*Head
04/13/2007, 08:21 AM
Good morning, i put together a large refugium last Saturday. So far, i have 250lbs of live/aragonite sand. The refugium not hook up into the main system yet. Because i affraid nitrate and PO4 will shot up in my display tank. I'm using all new sand, currently i have the G-4X protein skimmer running (skimming wet) to remove all the stuff that die off from the new sandbed, I also run 3 cups of carbon. But the water still very very cloudy. The refugium approx 200g, i use 100g of freshly RODI with TM pro reef and 50g of tank water. Here is my question

How long does it take before i can run the fuge with my main system?

Should i add some Fiji Mud?

When can i start to add Macro algea?

Is it normal for the water to be cloudy due to the new sandbed?

My main display tank is BB, i never have any experience with sand before. Thank you for all your help

V/R
Steve

Jar*Head
04/13/2007, 03:51 PM
No one?

TwentyTwenty
04/13/2007, 04:03 PM
Hi, Reefer714. Sounds like you did a nice job. Ok, down to business. I would hook it up as soon as you have the time to do so. Pass on the mud, you really do not need it. I would throw in some Chaeto as soon as you get some. Light it on the alternate schedule of your tank lights. Cloudiness is common, but should be settling down by now. You may have to much flow in there if you are running a powerhead or pump for movement. Good luck you are well on your way.

Jar*Head
04/13/2007, 05:18 PM
Thank you twentytwenty. I do have 2 powerhead Mag7 and the Aquaclear 702 plus the ASM G4X protein skimmer. I have quite a bit of flow going in the fuge. I will add some cheato this weekend. Thanks for the help

graveyardworm
04/13/2007, 08:42 PM
Any pictures?

Jar*Head
04/14/2007, 09:06 AM
Will take some pic in the next couple days. FYI, the water still cloudy....

TwentyTwenty
04/16/2007, 03:39 PM
Your welcome, Reefer714. I think you may have too much flow going through there stirring things up. Try slowing the flow and see what happens. Good luck and waiting to check out some pictures.

Mbeef61
04/26/2007, 01:17 AM
i would slow up the flow...have flow evenly distributed to there are limited dead spots but not super fast current. i would also pass on the mud...and i would hook it up as soon as its clear.
as macro algae asap...start with chaeto or some hardy caulerpa if you choose that route..i love my mangroves.

Jar*Head
04/26/2007, 08:32 AM
Guys, thank you so much for all the recommendation. Here is an update on my giant fuge.

So far the water is crystal clear, after i drained all the water and replace them with my tank water and some fresh mix RODI/TM pro. 100lbs of LR being added last week, the G4X has been running wet. BTW, the protein skimmer hasn't produce any skimmate in the past couple day. No fiji mud will be add into the fuge, Just live sand and rock. i will use the Eheim 1262 to feed the fuge and split them into 4 return and place them in 4 corners. Will add some cheato, tang heaven and Caulerpa this weekend. I also order 200 Mangrove tree :). FYI, my fuge is as big as the display tank. It is 44"x44"x30 (approx 250g). here is the question.

If i connect the fuge into my display tank with that much of water volume added into my main system. What kind of adverse affect do i or should i expect?

I will use the Hamilton standard magnetic ballast with XM10K or evc 10k bulb to light up the fuge. (why using metal halide? I will use a portion of the fuge as a prop tank :))

TwentyTwenty
04/26/2007, 04:37 PM
Reefer714 that fuge must be awesome. I do not think anything will happen. At worse maybe a mini cycle, but I think you have enough beneficial bacteria to handle anything you can throw at it. When it is all done you have to take a picture, so we can see this monster. Good luck and take care.

Jar*Head
04/26/2007, 04:42 PM
twentytwenty, Will take some pic as soon as it is up and running. Thanks

Jar*Head
04/29/2007, 08:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9819797#post9819797 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TwentyTwenty
Reefer714 that fuge must be awesome. I do not think anything will happen. At worse maybe a mini cycle, but I think you have enough beneficial bacteria to handle anything you can throw at it. When it is all done you have to take a picture, so we can see this monster. Good luck and take care.

Finally got the fuge up and running with some Cheato. I will take some pic tomorrow. I bought 3 bags (1g/bag) of cheato and it still look empty

loc01
04/29/2007, 08:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9841318#post9841318 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEFER714
Finally got the fuge up and running with some Cheato. I will take some pic tomorrow. I bought 3 bags (1g/bag) of cheato and it still look empty

Give it some room so it can grow,dude.

Loc

Jar*Head
04/29/2007, 09:07 PM
Can you imagine a bin full of Cheato? Hey Loc, where have you been man?

loc01
04/29/2007, 10:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9841687#post9841687 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEFER714
Can you imagine a bin full of Cheato? Hey Loc, where have you been man?

I just hop back here and there now and then.

Loc