PDA

View Full Version : best friend tangs?

jmaneyapanda
04/13/2007, 02:35 PM
I have read many threads where members have kept different species of tangs, and comment on how they are "best buds" or similar. I have a different opinion of this behavior- to me it is keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. These are, after all, very terrritorial fish, which are quite adept in harassing similar animals to their demise.
However, in investigating some natural behaviors, I have found many instances in nature where different species will shoal together, for whatever reason. Now, I know that natures does not equal our tanks in the slightest, but it made me think.

Do these fish form comraderies? Or are we simply anthropomorphizing these fish, and assigning "friendship" to a truthfully antagonistic behavior?

jefathome
04/13/2007, 02:48 PM
Reciprical altruism?

They pretend to be friends b/c they each get something out of it...

jmaneyapanda
04/13/2007, 03:49 PM
What benefit? Why tolerate a competitor of food when you can drive him off and have it all for yourself?

BrianD
04/13/2007, 04:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9718485#post9718485 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmaneyapanda
Or are we simply anthropomorphizing these fish, and assigning "friendship" to a truthfully antagonistic behavior?

Yes.

ReticentRegret
04/13/2007, 05:57 PM
Yellow tangs in particular do however school in reefs. That is the true reason they are so common. It is easy to herd them like sheep that is exactly how the collectors do it. Infact I think they call them sheep. Some scuba collector guy lingo.

davocean
04/13/2007, 10:44 PM
I do agree some tangs do stay close, yet antagonize each other(yellows come to mind, always backing into each other w/ spikes)
But I have had tangs that seemed to really be buddies.
Naso's seem to be the puppy dog of the sea, and my tennenti is very social/ friendly as well.

kpk
04/14/2007, 12:30 AM
I agree they aren't friends at all just making sure the other isn't eating the others food. I have a yellow, purple and powder blue in my tank and the larger tangs (yellow and pb) stay right on each others side, but you can see in their eyes one look at the others algae and there will be a tail swipe. The purple kinda hangs back and stays out of the way he's a little smaller...may seem friendly, but it to me seems like their food protection...

stanlalee
04/14/2007, 07:51 AM
My Hippo is always not too far behind my powder brown. Has nothing to do with friendship and they arent antagonistic or aggressive to each other in the least. I think your reading too much into it. My Hippo simply follows the Powder so he wont be left out if by chance the powder finds a good grazing spot. Its quite obvious. If he see's the powder about to graze he turns in his tracks to see what he's found. they dont "hang" together all the time but in a 6ft tank even at other ends they probably feel they are together. Mine are some of the least territorial tang species of them all and the only herbivores I have in the tank. they willingly accept each other as part of the community.
This is not uncommon behavior for juveneile tangs or more sociable tangs. I mean you never or rarely hear anybody say their powder blue or Sohal and ....put other tang here.....are best buds