PDA

View Full Version : Homekeeping Question????

airjoe33
04/13/2007, 04:58 PM
Im not really new to the hobby but i figured that this was probably the best place to post this question.

When I first got into this hobby i was told never to mess with the sand bed and let it do its thing. But i was recently told that your suppose to clean it (Syphon) like fresh water. Is this true or should i just keep everything the way i have it.

Im curious to see what everyones opinion is on this.
Thank you.

Joe

pottsburg
04/13/2007, 05:06 PM
Sucking debris off the top layer is fine. Disturbing everything in the sand bed is not - and this is even more important if you have a deep sand bed.

AZDesertRat
04/13/2007, 05:48 PM
If its a fully functioning deep sand bed do not disturb more than the top 1/4" or so and even then its best to do it in small sections over time. If its a shallow decorative sand bed siphon away.

drummereef
04/13/2007, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't siphon if you have a dsb, imo. Stirring only the top layer (less than 1/4") is probably ok, but I'd leave it up to your cleanup crew to do it for you. Stirring a ssb is fine. The only time I'd advocate siphoning the sandbed is if you have crushed coral. If so, I'd siphon at every water change. ;)