PDA

View Full Version : VHO Ballast able to run T5s ???

Nammy
04/13/2007, 09:51 PM
Can I use my VHO ballast to run T5s.

It's an ARO 440w Ballast. The ballast can run any combination of NO, HO and/or VHO bulbs.

So...Can I run T5s? How many?

lvreefer
04/13/2007, 10:26 PM
*** FAQ:
Q. Can I run T5 bulbs on the ARO Model 4LX ballast?
A. Simple answer: Yes, the ARO VHO ballast will "fire" T5 lamps. However, T5 lamps are high performance lamps and requires strict operating conditions for lamp performance and reliability.
Starting: Proper starting and operation is crucial for lamp life and performance. One important parameter is starting - the lamp is designed to be started using a program start - this is an accurate sophisticated controlled starting with proper filament heating with precise amount of time before ignition voltage is applied to the lamp.
Operating Current: Lamp operating current must also be controlled to tight specifications for performance and reliability.
We do not recommend the use of ARO VHO ballast to be used with the T5 lamps. Yes, it will fire the lamp as with many other ballasts but this does not mean that the lamps are operating to manufacturers specifications. Many ballast manufacturers claim that their ballast "works" with T5 when in fact a dedicated ballast specifically designed is a must, particularly for the T5 lamps!

Nammy
04/13/2007, 11:08 PM
Thank you,
I did find the same answer at HelloLights. However, I'm still not fully convinced.
During my search for an answer I found the following information.
Interesting.....

It is possible to dim T5 lamps with dimming ballasts. In the United States, several dimming ballasts for T5 high output (T5 HO) lamps are available. At least two ballast manufacturers—OSRAM SYLVANIA, Inc., and Energy Savings (see Do T5 lamps need special ballasts?)—produce analog dimming ballasts for T5 HO lamps, and at least one manufacturer—TRIDONIC, Inc., 866-874-3664 or 770-717-0556, www.tridonic.com—provides digital dimming ballasts for T5 HO lamps. Few dimming ballasts for standard T5 lamps are available, however. Analog dimming ballasts use a standard 0- to 10-volt direct-current (VDC) dimming control signal. Digital dimming ballasts use digital communication technology that is controllable through switch DIM®, Digital Serial Interface (DSI), or Digital Addressable Lighting Interface (DALI). The manufacturers claim that these ballasts can dim from 100% to 1% of full light output.