PDA

View Full Version : Hermit in QT tank going hyposalinity

Lotus99
04/13/2007, 10:02 PM
I have some anthias with ich in my QT tank. Unfortunately, one didn't make it, but the others look like they'll pull through. I guess the one that died was the most affected or was already weak. I'm still in the phase of lowering salinity, and just lowered it to 1.017. It will be going down to 1.009 over the next few days.

My question is about a hermit crab I have in the QT tank. I put him in there as he killed a snail in the main tank, and thought he'd help clean up uneaten food in there. Anyway, is there a way to put him back in the main tank without transferring ich in there? If he has to die because he can't be moved, then so be it, but I'd rather not have him die if he doesn't have to.

coast2coast7390
04/13/2007, 10:34 PM
i didnt think hermits could get ick i thought it was the more scaleless fish

Lotus99
04/14/2007, 02:22 PM
Sure, a hermit can't itself get ich, but if there is ich in the water, it could possibly get transferred into my main tank.

Freed
04/14/2007, 02:39 PM
that is correct, could quite possibly transfer with it. Do you know of someone that wants it? I wouldn't chance it. Did you have the anthias in the main tank to begin with? Or did you just get them home from the LFS? Good job QTing before putting in main tank. You can drop the salinity rather quickly over the next day or two if you like. Won't hurt anything but the hermit.

Lotus99
04/14/2007, 02:50 PM
I guess the hermit will have to be a sacrifice. I won't risk getting ich in the main tank, and I wouldn't give it to anyone, if there's the risk of giving ich with it. The only other thing would be to put it in its own tank for 6 weeks, which I'm just not prepared to do.

The anthias have been in QT for two and a half weeks, then the ich showed up. Everything goes into QT before it goes in the display tank, thankfully :)

Freed
04/14/2007, 05:52 PM
GOOD JOB!!

Icefire
04/14/2007, 06:13 PM
QT for 2.5week in normal SG was a waste...
If you want a ick free tank, you need to treat each new fish with hypo...