PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with skimmer 9005

pfish
04/14/2007, 08:44 AM
Hello,
I purchased a Tunze protein skimmer model 9005 about 9 months ago > It was reported to be far better than my existing skimmer which is poorly designed . After getting the 9005 I heard that getting it dialed in was a bit tricky) I have had nothing but poor skim production no matter how the valve is set. At this time the foam doesn't reach the bottom of the base of the collection cup . What's wrong with unit? I have taken out the Tunze and put back my old unit and have better bubble production and skimmate. I would like to know to know what is wrong with this unit. I have cleaned it and moved the unit in the sump with no noticeable improvements. I am looking for help

thank you

smatter
04/15/2007, 03:37 PM
The one I had worked like a champ. I assume you have taken it apart to make sure everything is connected properly? That skimmer is a little small for a 240 ;~)

pfish
04/15/2007, 05:30 PM
I'm using this skimmer on a 55gal. It looked like everything fit together properly, but I'am confused as to why its performance is off. I'm looking for suggestions.
Thanks

rvitko
04/16/2007, 09:35 AM
Causes of this that I have seen are a pinched hose- hose should be looped above the retaining hook and not pinched between it and the pump. The venturi nipple is not fully pressed into the venturi, it should be in half way, press it until it stops. The other cause is the pump is not seated properly, the outlet must be inserted into the pipe inside the skimmer. The skimmer should be submerged no deeper than the wavy blue water line, I usually submerge it slightly less so the line is about 1/4" above the water. I have also seen it happen where the cup is not centered in the hole.

pfish
04/16/2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply Roger. I will recheck all these items and see if I can find the problem. There is a hole in the upper middle back of the skimmer where water is running out, is this normal? I see no mention of it in the manual?

rvitko
04/16/2007, 11:09 AM
The hole is normal and that is how it is supposed to function.