PDA

View Full Version : aqua traders

Kengaroo131
04/14/2007, 02:00 PM
what dose everyone think about aquatraders? are they any good? how are there products? i was told there not bad but i would like to try to get a few opinions.thanks guys!

sir_dudeguy
04/14/2007, 02:10 PM
I personally think they're crap. You're gonna get a bunch of different opinions, but i'm sticking with mine after dealing w/a few of their products.

2 lights that completely stopped working (one actually almost caught fire i think...at least theinside of the ballast is all charred), 1 heater getting stuck on and then dieing all together and there was one other thing that i had from them that i cant remember what it was...but i know it didnt work for some reason. It was like a year ago so i cant remember lol.

I would be very cautious when buying from them...actually i'd just look elsewhere, especially if you're buying a light. They're cheap for a reason. IMO, the ballasts are way undersized and the cables that they used on my light are so thin (basically like headphone wires). So i think the stuff is just overpowered and it causes them to fail.

arizona tech
04/14/2007, 02:26 PM
i have the hob refuge and like it also i have 130watt light with no problems you are going to find a mix of reviews, of all ther stuff sirdudeguy should bring up his picture post about the light fixture

Kengaroo131
04/14/2007, 02:47 PM
yea if you have a pic do you mind posting it sirdudeguy??

sir_dudeguy
04/14/2007, 02:53 PM
sirdudeguy should bring up his picture post about the light fixture

which one? The one w/the fried ballast, or the one where i was trying to put one of their fixtures back together? :lol:

Either way, i have no clue where those went to...those were a long time ago...probably 8 or 9 months ago i'm thinkin. Any way to search through all the threads that someone has started?

Lotus99
04/14/2007, 03:07 PM
I had a light fixture from them that died after about 18 months. I guess I should be glad it stopped working but didn't start a fire. :) Other lights I bought from other manufacturers are still going strong after several years.

Kengaroo131
04/14/2007, 04:19 PM
so is this place a rip off?:lol: this would make an inetasting poll, Aquatraders?or anywhere but aquatrader? haha well im thinking it worth just spending the extra few buck rather than getting burned. but i was looking at there skimmers i need one for my 75 that im setting up any one know is there any good from there? there pretty cheap.

celano
04/14/2007, 04:45 PM
Their new electronic fixtures seem ok. Check out This thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1090216) over in the lighting and filtration forum for some more info. Its split a couple times but deffinately a good read.

Kengaroo131
04/14/2007, 04:52 PM
thanks celano

celano
04/14/2007, 05:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9725988#post9725988 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mariner908
so is this place a rip off?:lol: this would make an inetasting poll, Aquatraders?or anywhere but aquatrader? haha well im thinking it worth just spending the extra few buck rather than getting burned. but i was looking at there skimmers i need one for my 75 that im setting up any one know is there any good from there? there pretty cheap.

I'm sorry mariner, I totally missed this post. If you want some info on their skimmers try this thread out (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1048116)
I must have had a senior moment lol

Kengaroo131
04/14/2007, 05:36 PM
haha. hey its kool.

UrbanSage
04/14/2007, 06:18 PM
My 48" fixture went down in flames.
You get what you pay for ;)
Personally I will never buy anything from them again.

Kengaroo131
04/14/2007, 06:48 PM
basicaly there lights suck? haha i heard some good things about there skimmers i really would like to get one but what i hear is like half and half some of its good and some of its bad.the post that celano was talking about gave me a good idea of whats expected from them. dose any one know first hand how there skimmers are???

sir_dudeguy
04/14/2007, 09:39 PM
also consider this about skimmers (and many other pieces of equipment).

Many people have not tried a wide range of skimmers. Many get one and they think its good and all (and it may be, i'm not saying they're wrong) but they havent ever compared the one they have with others....so they assume there's is a decent skimmer without ever comparing. Who knows....there may be a skimmer thats costs a little more (or heck...maybe the same :) ) and it turns out that it works 10x better than the one they currently have.

So thats where you're gonna get all those 50/50 opinions....half the people havent tried other things, others have.

Kengaroo131
04/14/2007, 09:46 PM
yea that makes a hole lot of sence.

kau_cinta_ku
04/14/2007, 10:46 PM
i have one of their skimmers and personally hate it which is why it is just collecting dust and i now use a asm G2. yeah the skimmer worked great for the first 3 monthes but then just wouldn't skimm anymore no matter what i did. I also had one of their lights which ended up junk also 1st the fans stopped then the ballasts went out. so IMO spend the little extra now and save yourself a headach later

Kengaroo131
04/14/2007, 11:00 PM
yes seems like everyone is saying that thanks for the input. i dont think i'll be going there.

celano
04/14/2007, 11:36 PM
Choosing a skimmer comes down to personal preferance....Ask this same question to 100 reefers and you'll most likely get 100 different answers... The truth is there is no "right" skimmer. Just choose a brand that has a proven track record and you'll be alright.

Kengaroo131
04/14/2007, 11:48 PM
yea i suppose your right i'll just keep my eyes and ears open and keep on looking.

UrbanSage
04/15/2007, 01:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9729206#post9729206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by celano
The truth is there is no "right" skimmer. Just choose a brand that has a proven track record and you'll be alright.

Very true, but there sure are wrong skimmers.