PDA

View Full Version : clown tang experience?

fighton03
04/14/2007, 07:24 PM
Looking for anyone with clown tang experience and possibly pictures. They are beautiful fish, and saw a nice one at the LFS, but have never seen a "report card" with their success and conduct grades.

carnavor
04/14/2007, 10:00 PM
i have a clown tang , he is very active always swimming around the tank. had him for a while now, hes doing great.and gets along fine with my purple tang and chevron tang.

Faviaphile
04/14/2007, 10:35 PM
Make sure you know for sure that it is accepting prepared foods at the shop before you buy it. They are one of the more difficult tangs to keep because they are often available as juveniles that refuse to eat and slowly starve to death.
If it eats great, I'd buy it, I've been waiting for my LFS to get one that hasn't been an emaciated juvenile. No luck yet.

kenettson1
04/14/2007, 11:01 PM
Had one a few years back. I bought specimen that didn't look that great and didn't eat.... go figure.

Didn't do so well.... died in a few days.

I've read that people have better results by picking a good specimen that's eating and one the has a little size to it. HAving good flow in the tank is another recommendation that I've seen here on RC.

HTH

fighton03
04/15/2007, 12:34 PM
is 6 feet worth of swimming room enough for the species, or do they need more?

tapm
04/15/2007, 01:21 PM
My clown tang got skinny and died like several other reports I have read about these guys. He did great in my QT tank and ate like a pig was full bellied etc. Swam around the tank constintly. Once he went into my 180 gallon he seemed to not be able to compete with the other fish for food. He was a slow eater and could not get enough. I was going to catch him out and try to fatten him up but he died before I could.

JamesJR
04/15/2007, 07:25 PM
If you have a 125 the fish may not do well very long term.

Asuran
04/16/2007, 07:54 AM
definatley a 6ft tank min... i bought mine as a juvi being at around 3" or so... been about 8 months and is now about 6.5" and they do grow fast and love to swim. also as they get bigger they are much more aggressive... he is very close to getting me to tear apart my tank to give him a new home.

Gillybaby
04/16/2007, 09:46 AM
Beautiful fish. I had one a year or two ago, here's a pic of him. IMHO these fish need a very large tank, 7-8 ft minimum. They get big and are more aggressive than Sohals. Had mine in a 6ft tank and once he reached about 5" he decided it would be cool to kill my 7" Regal Tang. Needless to say he was promptly removed and my lfs found him a new, bigger home. Think he was just too cramped in my tank to be comfortable and started to take it out on his tankmates.

HTH

http://www.trapper300.co.uk/photos/albums/uploads/current%20tank%20pics%20for%20webpage/clowntang.jpg