PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new set-up

mapleredta
04/15/2007, 07:12 AM
Yesterday i purchased a 46 gallon bow tank, stand, canopy. The equipment list is, 620 siphon powerhead (I think) not sure what brand HOB skimmer, fluval 404 canister filter, 36" orbit lighting unit. The bulbs are brand new I was told. One 96 watt supaq dual actinic (420nm + 460 nm) one 96 watt supaq dual daylight (16,700K + 10,000K) Three lunar lights. And a 150w heater. All the live rock 70-80lbs,10-20lbs live sand, all the cleaning crew, 2 clowns, one goby (dont know which one) one potters angel. Can any one tell me what I need to upgrade?

Holyreefer
04/15/2007, 08:23 AM
Upgrading... are you looking to go folwr or reef

KAKLANGLEY
04/15/2007, 09:03 AM
If your lookig to go reef I personally would swap the canister for a overflow box and a sump or refugium. This would be a tank set in the stand that would hold extra liverock and other filtration means. A refugium would be a place where you grow macro algae that helps remove unwanted impurities in the water. Im not an expert on these but my brother uses a refugium and no skimmer his water stays clear and he performs water changes once every six weeks (does have to use calcium supplements). The algae grown also helps feeding of tangs and such animals that eat algae in nature. Refuges also give a place where pods that help feed tank inhabitants can also grow and reproduce safely.

There are so many different ways to do the filtration its not even funny. Look around this site and see what you like best and will be the easiest for you to set up and maintain.

As for the other equip. lighting should be fine, depending on what corals you wanted to keep. you will have roughly 4 watts per gallon and many will thrive and many wont have enough. You should be fine with mushrooms, most soft corals, and most LPS.

Look for what the requirments of each species as you may need additional water flow or less water flow.

There is alot of info that would be nneded to give exact recomendations on what equip will be needed but I have seen very succesful reefs using canister filters. If it aint broke dont fix it. What you have should let you keep many of the "beginer" corals out there that ae beautiful. Look at what you want to keep and go from there.

mapleredta
04/15/2007, 09:18 AM
Thank you every one im trying to figure out how to work the timer. Can any one recommend me a lighting schedule?

KAKLANGLEY
04/15/2007, 09:46 AM
10-12 hours actinic
8-10 hours daylight

Typically most run the actinics for an hour before and after the daylight bulbs. Run the actinics at the same time as the daylight also.

Should be a good starting point and adjust from there as to what your inhabitants like.