PDA

View Full Version : Sump vs stand vs me. lol

MoonInTn
04/15/2007, 11:10 AM
I've been trying to get a sump in a tank stand and so far I'm losing the battle. lol Here's the longer version. We got an allglass megaflow model 3 for a sump to use in our 75 gallon tank. We're also using the same thing for our 90 gallon, and it fit in the stand fine. The measurements on the stands are the same. Standard size tanks for both, so they are the same footprint. The only difference is that on the 90 gallon, the doors on the stand opens from the center and there isn't a center brace. On the 75 stand, there is a center brace and it's keeping me from working the sump into the stand. Worse case scenerio, I can leave the sump on the floor, but I would really like to be able to put it in the stand to hide it, and maybe make things a little quieter. Does anyone know of a safe, relative easy way to put it in the stand? Taking out center brace, etc. Of course the tank has already been filled and running for several months. We've been using canister filters for filtration, but were wanting to change over to a sump after seeing how much easier tank maintenance, hiding equipment, etc is on the 90 gallon.

badgerlaw
04/15/2007, 11:36 AM
I feel your pain. I tried to put a bigger sump into my existing set up and ended up practically trashing the door. The door never did close the same ever again.

macronut
04/15/2007, 11:48 AM
Try the following site http://www.melevsreef.com/ I know there is a section on this website regarding a new door cut into the side of the stand to get a sump in and out, (it was on his older tank set-up). I would probably brace the inside a little prior to doing what he did probably for my own reassurance. I hope this helps. There is other great info on his site too.

macronut
04/15/2007, 11:56 AM
I found it for you. It is under the DIY section at the top of the site. After clicking the DIY section look at the left side and find

Install a sump in an existing stand through the side. Hope this helps.

sjm817
04/15/2007, 11:57 AM
You can remove the center brace and put it back in. Its not too hard. Here is how I did it with pics (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=708262)

MoonInTn
04/15/2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the replies gang. You've given me some really great information. I don't think I can slide it in from the side because of the way we have our tanks set up. (Side by side.) BUT....the way sjm has done it, it looks like it wouldn't be very hard to do. Of course that would have to a project for next weekend since I may not have much time with my work schedule. That's alright though....it'll just give me time to plan ahead and try to do it right. Thanks again everybody. Very, very helpful!!