PDA

View Full Version : New tank going up, opinions and/or advice welcome!

CSMReef
04/15/2007, 03:17 PM
I'm back into this expensive hobby once again! I had to postpone it for quite some time while finishing up college (ie living in an appartment). But I've started planning a new setup for about 9 months now and I'm almost ready to begin.

The tank will be designed to accomidate SPS, LPS, Softies and reef safe fish. It will be a built in wall application so size of equipment is of no issue.

Here's what I have planned so far:

<b>Tank</b>
120g aga reef ready aquarium (48"x24"x24")
<b>Lighting</b>
48" Outer Orbit HQI/T5HO (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CU01077) 2x250w MH, 4x54w actinics, 18 moonlights
<b>Equipment</b>
Skimmer~ Deltec APF600 (http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/apf600.php)
<i><u>Calcium Reactor*?
Phosphate Reactor*?</i></u>
<b>Flow</b>
Return pump~ Iwaki 40RLXT (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=IK1145) (1200gph)
Additional Flow~Tunze Turbelle Stream Kit (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TZTS21)
<b>Additional Volume</b>
<u>Sump*?</u> Thinking about a DIY acrylic sump approx 40-50 gal in size (recommendations on design / other options?)
<u>Refugium*?</u> Will be gravity fed to the main display also DIY from acrylic 30-40gal in size (small powerhead to push water from display tank... recommendations on design / other options?)

Anything marked with an "<b>*</b>" is really what I'm looking for comments / recommendations on. Also if there are any other concerns with equipment and/or setup please let me know.

One thing that is important to me is keeping the refugium seperate from the sump. I know that it has become quite popular to combine a sump/refugium underneath the tank but I don't see the benefit of a refugium when you have a skimmer running in the same application (cleaning out the beneficial nutrients that the refugium thrives off of) and then also chopping up the pods (potential food for fish) with the return pump.

Thank you in advance for the time you took to read this new thread and hopefully constructive responses! I really do appreciate any input you might have and I look forward to keeping everyone updated on this new and exciting setup!

CSMReef

davefan13
04/15/2007, 03:18 PM
This looks like my thread, only bigger . . . both size-wise and budget wise :D.

CSMReef
04/15/2007, 03:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9733047#post9733047 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davefan13
This looks like my thread, only bigger . . . both size-wise and budget wise :D.

One thing that I have learned from past experiences in reef keeping is to get the best equipment / setup you can because you will spend way more money in the end wishing you had gone bigger and better.

Sk8r
04/15/2007, 03:41 PM
I was able to get a real good 30g acrylic sump with a dual inflow port and [within that 30g sump] about a 20g area midships for a refugium: I have mounted my skimmer externally, ditto an Iwaki external pump. I don't know the brand, but it's out there. Has a big blue E on it. Almost your size requirement, prebuilt, and has a lot of nice features.

CSMReef
04/15/2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Sk8r, I'll look into that. I would prefer a little larger volume (50 gal or so). Then another 30 gal for a refugium.

I also already have a RO/DI unit that should have went under the equipment section.

What is recommended along the lines of test kits and/or monitoring devices? Anyone have any experience with Pinpoint's pH, temp, salinity, calcium etc monitors?

Thanks again in advace!

CSMReef

cyeater
04/15/2007, 05:08 PM
I've asked and have seen people highly recommending Salifert test kits, I haven't purchased any yet, but plan to.

Chris

jer77
04/15/2007, 06:22 PM
For your sump and refugium have you looked at www.melevsreef.com for ideas? How do you plan to plumb the two together? Maybe have one drain go to the sump and the other to the fuge. What do you want in your sump besides the skimmer and return pump? You could have a separate area for a phosphate filter, calcium reactor, and probes. Have this chamber after the skimmer and have the drain from the fuge dumping into it. The return pump does kill some of the pods, but most of them survive.

If you really want the fuge gravity feed to the tank then you could tee off the return with a ball valve and send a little flow to the fuge which would be besides your display tank. Then you'd have to drill a hole in the side of the fuge and have the water drain into the tank. You could also use a powerhead to feed the fuge, but the flow will not be adjustable and might be too slow. Plus you'd have extra plumbing comming out of your tank and a powerhead.

Pinpoint has very good monitors. I have a pH, ORP, and temp monitor and they all work great. I have salifert test kits for calcium, alk, etc.

chase33
04/15/2007, 06:53 PM
There is a podcast (#82) where test kits are discussed. I too use Salifert as it was the most highly reccommended.

CSMReef
04/15/2007, 06:55 PM
jer77,

In the sump would be the skimmer, calcium reactor, phosphate filter, probes, return pump etc.

Yes, the refugium would be fed from the display tank by a small powerhead and then a hole would be drilled in the side of the refugium to allow the water to flow back into the display tank.

Thank you for the info on the monitors as well.