PDA

View Full Version : Should I attempt?

thecichlidpleco
04/15/2007, 05:49 PM
A local chain fish store got in a crocea this week. It is quite vibrant and looks healthy. Question is should I buy it? This store has workers that do not take care of their livestock, they never direct feed any of their coral, and have limted knowledge of everything salt related. I bought a sun coral from them recently that was dying and it is doing better under my care. I didnt want this just to be an impulse buy, so what should I do. It is about 3-4 inches from one end to the other and is $35. I have 4x54 watt T5's in a 40 long.

WayneY
04/15/2007, 07:05 PM
If it looks healthy it should be fine in your tanks lighting.Not a bad price for the size.

jmaneyapanda
04/16/2007, 06:21 AM
This is a bit off topic, but if (or when) you buy this clam, they will replace it with another. Will you buy that one too? And what about after that? You will be supporting and stimulating this tore to keeps clams in stock, when you think they should not.

The "save" buy has best intentions, but poor outcomes. Dont support stores who dont desreve financial support.

Also, I have never specifically fed my corals either, and they have been with me for 5+ years. Sun corals, on the other hand, are the exception to the rule.

thecichlidpleco
04/16/2007, 10:24 AM
This is the only clam I have ever seen there, and the save aspect is really just giving me another reason to buy it.

Rovert
04/16/2007, 10:31 AM
Just "two cents" worth, but why not have a conversation with the owner of the store, and explain why you're buying the clam, where their shortcomings are, and what they need to get up to speed. Who knows... you might get a part time job out of it!

jmaneyapanda
04/16/2007, 11:40 AM
You could do whatever you feel right. In my own humble opinion, I do not think your purchase will do anything but show this store there is a profit to be made by trying to sell these animals, whether they can care for them in the meanwhile, or not. Good luck.

chrisstie
04/16/2007, 01:27 PM
If you want the clam to begin with and you feel confident it will do well in your tank I say go for it.

However if it is solely a sympathy buy, then I wouldn't because if it expires or falls ill you'll be kicking yourself and maybe even feel guilty - but hopefully its reason 1 and does well :)

just make sure you have t5 bulbs more suited for a clam- at least a white if not two or a super actinic (er whatever the one between blue and white is) because they will do much better under that spectrum than the blues.. I have the 5x54w on my 55g and am considering making my blue-white bulb into a white bulb to see how everythign does in the tank.

Just not sure if it'll shock anything else in the tank with the switch of light