PDA

View Full Version : What I've learned in 5 years of keeping sw and reef tanks.

Kaos
04/15/2007, 06:27 PM
I have been trying to keep sw and reef tanks for 5 years now, and let me tell you it's been a very trying battle. I hardly ever had a problem keeping fish and inverts, it was the constant battle w/ algae that kept beating me up. Algae caused me to quite the hobby a few times only to be drawn back in after a few months (and selling off all my equipment) by the pic's of members tanks from this board and nano-reef.com.

After years of trials and tribulation I have finally gotten it right. I have a 10gal. nano reef that has been set up for 2.5 months and is doing so well I can't believe it. I feel I need to start a thread to help people that may be going through the same things I went through and need help. So this is what I have learned from my personal experiences:

1) Water quality is the biggest factor. Your tank water must be
within the limits to succeed. This also goes for your top-water.
The top-off water and the water that you use to mix up sw
should have a tds as close to 0 ppm as possible.

2) Good biological filtration is the next biggest factor. The best
biological filtration out there is ls and lr. Quality lr will help
things a whole lot also. I've had lr from my lfs that was very
sub-par (ie nothing growing on it, no visible coralline, etc.) and
this didn't do much for my tank. I had very little pods and my
tank had ha problems. The lr I have in my current tank has
tons of pods and bacteria bail me out when param's get out
whack. They do so well I don't have any snails or hermits. I
also have some Chaeto. in there to absorb any other nutrients
and to give the pods a place to hide and breed. I'd also steer
away from crushed coral substrate. Detritus gets in there and
is very difficult for cleaners to get to. Detritus is very good fuel
for algaes.

3) "Over skim". My past tanks had skimmers that were rated real
close to the tank size they were on. My current skimmer is
rated for 6x my water volume. This is my only mechanical
filtration on this tank. The water stays crystal clear. I've had
people ask me if there was water in the tank.

4) Keep the bio-load as low as possible. I have always pushed
the stocking limits on my tanks. I think this attributed to a
build up of nutrients that fueled my ha outbreaks. My current
tank is fishless. I not saying go that route but it works for
me. It also keeps daily mantenance down (feeding) and the
possibility of uneaten food turning to nutrients that fuel ha.

5) ATO's save allot of daily head aches. Just be redundant w/
your safeguards.

6) Create good, random flow. This will keep your lr clean from
detritus build up, which in turn will give algae one less thing
to feed on.

All of this stuff is nothing new and I have seen it preached constantly here. At times I was just too hard headed or too lazy to change what I thought would work. Keep in mind that this is not the "only way to set up a tank". This is just the fundamentals that have worked for me after years of trials and tribulations.

Peter Eichler
04/15/2007, 06:35 PM
I think your suggestions are very dependant on what type of organisms the aquarist is trying to keep, but overall it's good advice.

What I've learned in the last 20+ years in the hobby... 80% of this hobby is geared towards controlling what we consider pests, the rest of the time we get to enjoy out tanks :lol:

Icefire
04/15/2007, 06:44 PM
Also, your tank is only 2.5 months old, prepare for a hair algae bloom in the next 6 months.

Kaos
04/15/2007, 06:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9734451#post9734451 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
I think your suggestions are very dependant on what type of organisms the aquarist is trying to keep, but overall it's good advice.

What I've learned in the last 20+ years in the hobby... 80% of this hobby is geared towards controlling what we consider pests, the rest of the time we get to enjoy out tanks :lol:

Very true. This is just what has worked for me.

Kaos
04/15/2007, 06:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9734520#post9734520 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Icefire
Also, your tank is only 2.5 months old, prepare for a hair algae bloom in the next 6 months.

What do you mean? My tank has cycled and I am very careful what goes in the tank along w/ testing the water to make sure my param's are in check. If no nutrients are entering the tank and I'm not feeding it, what could change that would cause an algae outbreak? I'm not doubting you, just asking for clarification so I can possibly prevent it.

cwegescheide
04/15/2007, 06:58 PM
Can we see pictures of your tank and your corals?

Thanks,
Chris

Uncle Boo
04/15/2007, 07:00 PM
Excuse the noobness but what is ATO?

Kaos
04/15/2007, 07:08 PM
Here goes a current pic. Notice the remnants of a ha outbreak on the top left ph due to the lfs water. I have since purchased a SpectraPure CSP-DI 80 and my pods are taking care of my mistake (the ph was completely covered).

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Seadazed/DSCN0253.jpg

Kaos
04/15/2007, 07:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9734670#post9734670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Uncle Boo
Excuse the noobness but what is ATO?

ATO stands for Auto Top Off.

Roy G. Biv
04/15/2007, 07:40 PM
Is there water in that tank? :) Very clear!

Kaos
04/15/2007, 08:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9735008#post9735008 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pmolan
Is there water in that tank? :) Very clear!

:lol:

Peter Eichler
04/15/2007, 11:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9734731#post9734731 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kaos
[B]Here goes a current pic. Notice the remnants of a ha outbreak on the top left ph due to the lfs water. I have since purchased a SpectraPure CSP-DI 80 and my pods are taking care of my mistake (the ph was completely covered).

Congrats, you've managed to maintain some base rock for 2.5 months!

P.S. Are you honestly blaming a hair algae outbreak on LFS water?

I know, I'm a jerk, but someone had to say it...

Lordhelmet
04/16/2007, 12:25 AM
i think we were all thinking it, you just said it. 2.5 months is nothing. after a year or two, then you have accomplished something great.
it looks like you are well on the path, but be ready for the hair algea that will come.

aquarius77
04/16/2007, 01:59 AM
[i]. Are you honestly blaming a hair algae outbreak on LFS water?

[/B]

LoL i tested my lfs store water after having to clean the glass two times a day.... 256 tds....... my tap had 140, id have been better off!

Peter Eichler
04/16/2007, 02:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9737056#post9737056 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquarius77
LoL i tested my lfs store water after having to clean the glass two times a day.... 256 tds....... my tap had 140, id have been better off!

They claimed this was RO/DI water?

boxfishpooalot
04/16/2007, 04:21 AM
Good advice, I agree with it. Fwiw nano tanks are great learning tanks.

My advice? add 1(1-2" in size) fish add 3 corals or more. greater than 2" add 4 corals. Always.

This will minimize nutrients. Why? Because the corals consume the fish poo and inorganic nutrients :D