PDA

View Full Version : Harlequins in a 3gal-any thoughts or exp.?

harleychic
04/15/2007, 08:03 PM
Hi all,
Been researching this on the web and can't seem to find anyone who's done it. I's like to do it, but want some input first.

I'm concerned about a dying cc star wrecking my water quickly. I know some people talk about putting stars in a fuge or separate tank and cut off a leg and throw it in, I'd really prefer not to do this....(somehow sentencing a starfish to certain doom does not bother me, actually sawing off a leg does!)

Any input greatly appreciated.

Agu
04/15/2007, 08:52 PM
I'm concerned about a dying cc star wrecking my water quickly.

That would be my concern also. Even moving up to a 5.5 would reduce your risk for not much more money.

jski711
04/15/2007, 09:05 PM
trying to keep that little of water stable for a shrimp might be difficult. also why is your star dying??? have you checked the water lately?

kingfisher62
04/15/2007, 10:49 PM
jski711, Harlequin shrimp will only eat one thing ,starfish. I think harleychic is concerned about the decaying of the food!
But I could be wrong!

Rosseau
04/15/2007, 11:04 PM
I don't know much about them in aquaria, but in the wild I'm pretty sure they will cut off an arm or so at a time. If they actual do this you shouldn't have too big of a problem with dying starfish in your tank.

Although, they may bite off more than they can chew. Taking too big of a piece and then being forced to let it decompose. I don't know!

nanoreefboy
04/16/2007, 04:49 PM
Try to find someone who has the tiny reef stars growing like crazy and see if they would be able to just give you some every couple of days for them. IMO that would be better than a huge CC startfish in the tank just rotting. I tried a pair of the shrimp in a 4 gallon years ago and it was too much of a pain siphoning out starfish pieces every other day or so with the CC stars, and trying to keep the water stable. I did switch for the small reef stars when I found someone with a steady supply and was a whole lot better for stability.
Good Luck though

harleychic
04/16/2007, 05:13 PM
thanks everyone for the input

I will give it some more thought, someone else gave me the idea to use smaller starfish, I just may give it a try!!