PDA

View Full Version : Acro crabs: Good, Bad or Ugly?

bureau13
04/15/2007, 07:45 PM
Hey,

Anyone know of a page which illustrates the various good and bad acro crabs that exist? I had a very small little white crab that looked almost like he had on black sunglasses...a black band across where his eyes are. I think I saw that called a Bandit Crab, and he is supposed to be good. He was on an acro that died, and then I figured he was dead as well, but I just today saw him on another acro. Now, this one already had two larger light brown crabs on it, with little "eye spots" on each leg. I don't know if they're really eye spots, but that's what they look like. I had assumed these guys were also good, but this coral is very green with a decent amount of polyp extension...except the middle of the main branch, where they hang out...its almost smooth and more brownish. Is this a symptom of bad crabs?

I also have a smaller purple acro that I've noticed losing some color, and I just now found a small dark colored crab with white or light blue eyes, and I think he's got furry legs (haven't been able to get a really good look). From what I've read, this one is probably bad...but other than the loss of color on a couple branches, I don't see anything else.

Anyone have the definitive resource on good and bad acro crabs?

Thanks,
jds

Rovert
04/15/2007, 09:02 PM
Tagging along for the answer. I've been wondering about this, myself.

mpoletti
04/15/2007, 09:29 PM
General rule of thumb that I live by; If they are hairy, they are trigger food. Smooth crabs are general good.

OnlyCrimson
04/15/2007, 10:16 PM
The ones with the little black sunglasses are good! I have a bigger one and also a little baby one, i love em! If they're hairy get rid of them.