PDA

View Full Version : Help with Point and shoot camera choice

Nht8134
04/16/2007, 03:53 PM
Hey all. My wife is thinking of buying a point and shoot camera and her budget is around $300. What is the best bang for the buck camera in that price range? Im thinking Nikon and Canon but which one takes better pictures and has better, more useful features? I figured I can use her camera sometimes to take pictures of my tank so Im helping her find the right one. Than

Rosseau
04/16/2007, 04:13 PM
This thread is just below this one. It's within a similar price range and might help you out.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1094480

reefman13
04/16/2007, 10:18 PM
Well I have a Sony Cybershot point and shoot and I love it. I think it ran a little over $300, but its a great cam. Both Cannon and Nikon are good. I got a Nikon D50 with a 18mm-200mm lens and would have to say that it takes some of the best pics I have ever seen. I would personally go for a Nikon, but there are probably some people that love their Cannon's too.

Good Luck Choosing.

Nht8134
04/17/2007, 01:07 AM
reefman you mentioned the d50, does that fit my budget? If so, how did you get it for so cheap?

reefman13
04/17/2007, 08:09 AM
Sorry for the confusion, what I meant to say was that there are some great point and shoots for $300, like the sony, nikon, and cannon. But if you wanted to up your budget a little and get a camera that will last you for the rest of your life (if you take care of it). Then spend a little more and get the D50 starter kit. I have the equivalent of the D200 from 1994 (film camera) and then my dad got one as a collage graduation present and he uses it for black and white pictures and it still works beautifuly.

I have been looking around for D50's and there aren't many places that carry them. I was just told by my photography buddy that they discontiued the production of the D50 because it was such a good camera that it was affecting the sales of their preimum cameras. If you can get your hands on one you will absolutely love it. Other wise the SLIGHTLY lesser equivilent is the D40 which you can get with the kit for around $750.

Point and shoot cameras are great, won't last as long as a DSLR, and not as good pics, but is perfect for everyday use.

Just some food for thought.

Ocean In A Box
04/20/2007, 11:09 PM
I hace the Canon S3 IS ... higher-end as far as features than most point and shoot's but not a digital SLR. Why is this good? Excellent pictures, but no SLR price.
I'd highly recommend...great quality and lot so auto (and manual, if you like this) features.

You could check it out here if interested:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/form_keyword=S3+IS/topcat_id=/page_id=48/qlty=n

Good luck -

Mrs. PL-Reef
04/21/2007, 06:35 AM
I second the S3, I had the S2 and loved it. It's a little bigger then the typical point and shoot camera, but it'll be good for her and take decent pictures of your tank :)

speakerguy
04/23/2007, 07:13 AM
I have a Canon S3 too and it's great. It's higher-end but totally worth it. I have owned other Canon's too and all have taken great photos. Nikons are great too, but just about everyone I know uses Canon's and they LOVE them.