PDA

View Full Version : Will ozone help a low PH?

prugs
04/16/2007, 06:51 PM
First some tank specs:
210 gal tank with a 75 gal sump/fuge (approx 50 gals).
650 gal/hr sump/fuge return pump.
Reeflow dart CLP with OM 4-way.
SPS & LPS corals with light fish load.
300lbs of live rock with a 3"SB fine sugar size.
18" ball of cheato in fuge with 70 watt HQI fuge lighting.
5 gal water bottle skimmer with 2 NW genx 2400's pulling a total of 16 SCFH.
calcium reactor with effluent control between 6.4 & 6.6PH & genx media.
Large kalk reactor used for ATO.
Calcium is at 400
Alk is 9.5 dkh
Mag 1350
Nitrates/nitrites/amonia are 0

I have PH readings between a little over 8.0 during the day & bottom out at a little less than 7.8PH by morning.

I'm thinking of adding another chamber to the calcium reactor. As the genx media does seem to need a lower PH (6.4-6.6) to get the calcium effluent to over 500.

I have a ozone unit I will be connecting soon. I didn't see that as a solution listed for low PH, but wouldn't that help drive off more CO2?

Billybeau1
04/16/2007, 08:44 PM
No, ozone will not affect your pH nor drive off Co2. However, pH will affect your ORP. The higher the pH the lower ORP. The lower pH, the higher ORP.

Your other parameters are wonderful.

I suspect as you, Co2 is suppressing your pH.

Have you read this ?

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

prugs
04/16/2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I checked out that article. One of my problems is a tight house. PH is always better in the summer when the windows are open.
I guess it's time to make a secondary calcium reactor chamber. Maybe use some ARM media in the secondary chamber?

Billybeau1
04/16/2007, 09:22 PM
Some people have had luck running an air line from outside to their skimmer. If this is possible in your case, it might be worth a try.

jdieck
04/16/2007, 09:27 PM
Try outside air for your skimmer
Also switch to ARM media and go ahead with the second chamber use a larger reactor and or increase the size of it's recirculation pump.
Also you can drop some limewater at night to keep that PH up.
Reverse cycle on refugium or frag tank will also help.

prugs
04/16/2007, 09:45 PM
An outside line for the skimmer is possible. That would really put the heaters in OT during the winter months.
I'm already using kalk & a reverse lighting schedule.

Billybeau1
04/16/2007, 09:47 PM
Not necessarily. :)

jdieck
04/16/2007, 10:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9744738#post9744738 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by prugs
An outside line for the skimmer is possible. That would really put the heaters in OT during the winter months.
I'm already using kalk & a reverse lighting schedule.
You will find out that there is enough heat added to the tank via lights and pumps that the cooler air will not even be noticed, belive me I use a 3/4" suction hose from outside to my skimmer And I use a vent fan from the outside bringing fresh air (unheated) into the fish room and circulating it out trough another duct and still the chiller can barely keep up with the heat.

johns
04/16/2007, 11:11 PM
Is there any information available about what diameter tubing to use if you are going to extend the skimmers air intake 8 or 10 feet to get it outside? I imagine the added length causes additional restriction of air, so by just increasing it's length, you may have a negative effect on the performance of the skimmer.

Billybeau1
04/16/2007, 11:28 PM
No johns, i have seen no concrete tables or charts giving recommendations. I know what you mean though. The slightest tweak of air could render a protein skimmer useless.

Best I can tell, it is mostly trial and error in this field.

Just imagine. JD has a 3/4 inch hose (careful now) and yet it works. May not work for other brands.

Trial and error my friend. :)

jdieck
04/17/2007, 04:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9745424#post9745424 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by johns
Is there any information available about what diameter tubing to use if you are going to extend the skimmers air intake 8 or 10 feet to get it outside? I imagine the added length causes additional restriction of air, so by just increasing it's length, you may have a negative effect on the performance of the skimmer.
just go one size larger than the air valve 1/4" > 3/8" > 1/2" > 3/4" > 1"

prugs
04/17/2007, 08:51 AM
Some type of filter should also be added to the intake. I'm not so worried about pollution, as I am bugs nesting in the tubing causing the tube to become blocked.

johns
04/17/2007, 09:03 AM
Some type of filter should also be added to the intake. I'm not so worried about pollution, as I am bugs nesting in the tubing causing the tube to become blocked.

I used a simple noise reducing filter (few inches of 1" PVC, capped on both ends, with holes driiled into each cap, air intake from skimmer inserted into one end, filter floss inside). I inserted this into the dropped ceiling above my tank very close to the location where a hole was drilled into the side of our house for the ductwork a ventilation fan exiting the house. So the air intake line it not REALLY outside, but I can feel a bit of fresh air around there, because I think the hole for the ductwork was not sealed the greatest.

Hopefully that little filter will keep bugs etc from blocking it.

prugs
04/17/2007, 09:06 AM
What will keep the bugs from getting into the filter housing, & plugging that up?

johns
04/17/2007, 09:42 AM
What will keep the bugs from getting into the filter housing, & plugging that up?

Soak the filter floss in pesticide :eek1:
J/K

You are right. Nothing really, but it would have to be a big nest to plug the whole PVC piece up. I would probably be more worried about it myself if mine were actually all the way outside. Not as worried where it is now.

jdieck
04/17/2007, 10:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9747601#post9747601 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by johns

Soak the filter floss in pesticide :eek1:
J/K

You are right. Nothing really, but it would have to be a big nest to plug the whole PVC piece up. I would probably be more worried about it myself if mine were actually all the way outside. Not as worried where it is now.

I use a filter like the ones used for RO/DI with an activated granular carbon cartridge.
This to keep bugs out but also to remove potential contaminants when the Orkin man comes around fumigating the heck out of the garden, the TrueGreen man fertilizing and the mowers with the exaust of the mowing machine and weedwackers.

prugs
04/17/2007, 10:42 AM
Running a little carbon sounds like a good idea.
I'm thinking a 90 degree elbow facing down to keep the rain out, with some screening over that to keep the bugs out.
I guess I'm off to Menards for another project.

jdieck
04/17/2007, 11:43 AM
Enjoy!

Boomer
04/17/2007, 04:26 PM
Ozone has no direct impact on pH but can have an indirect impact due to various reactions but the sum total impact on pH will be about nil. To even show what it may or may not due would require some pretty elaborated controlled tests. One could make the same claim on O2 and its indirect impact on pH.

prugs
04/18/2007, 10:31 AM
Boomer,
Are you implying that, a fresh air (outside air) intake for a skimmer would have a negligable effect on PH?

Boomer
04/18/2007, 10:40 AM
No, not at all. The question on the first post was does ozone effect pH. As far as you question it may or may not it depends.