PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate ?

ReefDreamz
04/16/2007, 07:32 PM
I think I have pretty high phosphate 0.6 mg/L. I am starting to get a lot of hair algae and calurpa and some type of red hair algae. I have no refugium. I am using RO water and have a DI canister on its way. My nitrate is 10ppm or less. Is phosphate to blame for all the algae growth? What can I do to lower my phosphates besides do a massive water change once the DI comes and I mix up some new salt water? Is there anything I should worry about besides algae growth with phosphates at 0.6 mg/L? My tank is cycled with the first part of the "package" from TBS and I will be putting the 2nd part in tonight.

-Cody

drummereef
04/16/2007, 08:47 PM
Some of the algae you are experiencing is probably normal. Newly cycled tanks go through diatoms and hair algae blooms as they cycle. You are on the right track with the DI. Getting all nutrients out of the source water is key. I would do some healthy water changes when the DI comes in. The excess phosphates are probably contributing to the algae. You could run a phosphate media, like phosban or phosar hc if it continues to get worse.

Getting the nitrates down is also a must. What media are you running in the canister? ;)

ReefDreamz
04/16/2007, 10:22 PM
Right now im running nothing in the canister. Its totally empty. I'll try and find some Phosban or something similar while im waiting on the DI.

iflipsidei
04/16/2007, 11:46 PM
phosban reactor made by two little fishes took my tank down from 3ppm phos to 0ppm it was ungodly