PDA

View Full Version : Light Shock

pana
04/16/2007, 09:14 PM
just wouild like to clarify an issue im having with my t5 light. basically each time i touch the water and the light at the same time i get THE biggest fn shock which basically takes out half my power in my house.

would like to know if the only solution is to get a new light? and whats causing this issue?

cheers.......

TomRep
04/16/2007, 09:17 PM
Could be a heater or something IN the tank and when you touch the light, you are a quicker path to ground through the light. Do you get a shock when you just tough the water and not the light?
tom

mr pink floyd
04/16/2007, 09:17 PM
well first off, stop touching both. it sounds like your not grounded somewhere, so check the connections. check the plug its plugged in to, see if thats properly grounded. if its taking out power to your whole house, it must be big enough to trip the big circuit breaker in your house, which really probably isnt good for you. Id leave the light unplugged until you can check the connections, and contact the company.

good luck, and dont kill yourself(seriously)

cbeitel
04/16/2007, 09:18 PM
Use a volt meter if you have one and test the light and tank seperately. Maybe its the tank (Heater or pump?).

You should never have stray current...

Is the light new? Under warranty? Don't mess with electricity!! :eek1:

alan214
04/16/2007, 10:37 PM
It really sounds like the outlet you have te T5 plugged into may not be grounded properly. When you touch it and the water together, you're providing a path to ground for the T5's frame.

kingnai
04/17/2007, 03:28 PM
Look into a grounding probe for your tank... the life you save may be your own