PDA

View Full Version : New 65g reef ordered....seeking suggestions/comments

Jaroby
04/16/2007, 10:08 PM
I finally placed the order for my 65g open topped reef i have been assembling on paper and thanks to much info on the boards and "Natural Reef Aquariums" by John Tullock, along with a few local hobbyists.
-AGA 65g -- 36x18x24
-Coralife 36" Aqualight advanced (2x150W 20k HQI MH)
-Coralife Superskimmer 225
-2 - Hydor Koralia 3 (800 gph each)
-80lbs Arag-alive livesand
-200 gallon bucket of RedSea salt (supposedly RedSea comes from desalinating ocean water..i thought that was good, can still get InstantOcean if i wish)
- RedSea Hydrometer (compact, glass, and has thermometer and suction cups..I have Refractometer from Marine Depot to calibrate with)
- 100 lbs LR planned.. havent decided on type to get yet...i have choice of 12-14 varieties and am leaning towards Alor rock or Fiji Rock. Problem w/ Fiji is when i see it come through it will all be from a particular depth, but i cant choose from which depth i want. I have seen shallow depth that is basically hardened acropora.. looks like dead coral not like rock. Im not sure i want that and dont feel like taking a chance on ordering Fiji and getting it. suggestions please on personal favorites!

- A refugium will be setup in the near future..looking at mechanics still for it, mainly placement as i have limited space to operate this reef. I havent determined size or placement of refug, most likely will drill and install bulkheads near top of 65g to pipe to refuge but HOB overflow will probably happen. Refugium question to come later in future though....for now live rock, live sand, good flow and alot of skimming to establish and keep my own personal ecosystem.

Appreciate any and all comments/suggestions as im always looking to improve what I am planning and doing.

drummereef
04/16/2007, 10:26 PM
If you are doing a sump I'd upgrade the skimmer. A Euro-Reef RS80 would be a good starting choice. Also, depending on what corals you want to keep you might consider 250watt halides instead because of the 24" depth. I'd ditch the Aragalive sand and do dry sand. My experiences weren't good, an ammonia mess not worth dealing with. And you'll save a little money in the process. ;)

Jaroby
04/16/2007, 10:45 PM
i appreciate the comment. I am suprised to hear though, I have seen a good amount of people have quick cycles and great start-up using the sand and differing amounts of liverock. An Oceanic 76 Half-circle went up using this sand and 100 pounds of liverock using a sump and was cycled in one week. He added numerous snails and other inverts, a nice variety i picked out for him and has since fully stocked his tank in an overly shorter than advised speed without any problems. I cant say if it is all the rock, but i have been in the thought the livesand speeds the cycle and will give you a wider variety of organisms. Have thoughts on the bottled and retailed seawater? usually comes in 4.4 gallon jugs.

drummereef
04/16/2007, 10:52 PM
That wasn't really my complaint about the sand. I just think it's overpriced for what you get. Open the bag and it smells like death. I can't say it's 'live' sand by any means. The sand isn't going to determine the length of the cycle, the rock will. It all depends on how 'cured' the live rock is before placing it in the system. Minimal die-off means a shorter cycle. You'd be better off buying dry sand and seeding it with a few cups of real 'live' sand from a fellow reefers tank. You'll get the biodiversity without the mess. Just my opinion. For salt, I use Instant Ocean. ;)

luntiz
04/17/2007, 01:02 AM
You might want to upgrade to the Hydro 4's. I have two Seio 820s and feel that they are too weak, but thats just me.

luntiz
04/17/2007, 01:04 AM
Also, 250w MHs will do great, I'm not sure about the 150s, so its better safe than sorry. You might only need 1 pendant, I only run one and my SPS that are on the farthest part of the tank are still thriving.

Nano Chris
04/17/2007, 05:58 AM
I have FIJI and it looks great i seen Tonga and it seems to have more stuff growing on it (i probably would have went with Tonga) but I'm ok with what i have.

Jaroby
04/17/2007, 11:23 PM
Looks like I'll be adding a 30 gallon AGA homemade refugium for growing algaes and copapods for an eventual addition of a mandarin goby and a single tang (Sailfin tang is my choice so far)

Researching the pump necessary for a decent flow without overdoing it. I am looking at needing a pump with around 400 gph @ 4 ft pressure .. i calculated this on 5x turnover of 80 gallons (65g tank and 15g in refugium). The Rio, Hydor, and Mag drive pumps are accessible for me,Tunze is not an option for me unfortunatly.

Also thinking a putting a t-5 2x28w strip over the refugium. Any suggestions on this being adequate lighting for copapod, algae, and for a few coral frags in only a few inch depth of water and light being only 6"-8" from surface of water.

Thanks for all your comments so far

JOSEPHLB
04/18/2007, 06:53 AM
I don't believe its recommended to stock any type of Tang in a 36" (3ft) tank. From what I've researched and from other views on various forums, Tangs need long, linear distances to accomodate them appropriately. I have the same 65g as you are planning and it is definately frustrating knowing after the fact that I purchased it, I knew I would be limiting the fish I could keep.

Take this with a grain of salt though.. i'm not by no means being the "Tang Police"; just giving you a heads up on some more future research you may need to do regarding the tang.

Jaroby
04/18/2007, 06:51 PM
yes i have a feeling if i did get a tang i would have to eventually take him to my lfs. I probably will not get one but I'd like to have one centerpiece fish to go with corals i will stock. I plan to eventually get a few sps for the upper levels and a mix of others lower down. I've been enjoying the rabiitfish, not the foxface, i have seen also. It's still too early to worry about that yet.. have to get everything assembled and cycled. Live rock is curing now.