PDA

View Full Version : Ground temp 3ft deep 5ft wide is?

mrgpescado
04/17/2007, 09:08 AM
I live in Long Beach Ca. The container will be in complete shade always it will be 325 gal. and no more than 3ft deep. Is it worth putting in the ground or will the shade keep it cool for the summer if so what about the winter? This is a sump for a outdoor system that will be about 1000 gal. How cold will it get how warm will it get? Help Please

mwhite
04/17/2007, 09:53 AM
An above ground tank will generally be around the ambient air temperature. An in ground tank, that is like a pond, will vary with the air temperature but over much less of a range. Insulation and a cover will help year round.

As for Long Beach, I haven't lived there for years but I remember lows of 30F and highs of 110F. Just for ease of maintenance I would insulate it well and put it above ground.

raskal311
04/17/2007, 11:38 AM
My 2000gal +- pond is 4feet deep and it’s freezing cold in the winder. I mean to the point my hands would heart if I leave it in the water for longer then 30 second. I’m about 20-25miles from Long Beach.

kenny77
04/17/2007, 11:00 PM
a beleive that in ground tank have more chances to control the temp than above. in winter you can cover the tank with some DIY green house, and keep up the tempo with heater. that is easy. now in summer how warn does it get.

here in PR it is imposible to have a pond with out a chiller. unless it is a shade. and still temp get up to 90-95*

mrgpescado
04/18/2007, 08:48 AM
thanks guys it gets about 50 at the coldest and 95 at the warmest not much rain but it is in shade all day and covered with a green house material i will take pics over the weekend i want to make this run on very little electricity im thinking of a closed loop on a gas or propane heater running thru the sump (closed loop) but i am just starting this and am open to all info thank you again