PDA

View Full Version : Film on the surface of water

gig
04/17/2007, 01:38 PM
I can see there is a film on the water surface, anyone know what causes that and how to get rid of it?

markzfishn1
04/17/2007, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure what causes it, but more surface agitation gets rid of it. Aim a power head or the return at the surface and it will break up and go away quickly.

Reeses
04/17/2007, 01:41 PM
It is organics, you get rid of it with a good skimmer, and more surface agitation. It prevents good oxygen exchange.

gig
04/17/2007, 01:43 PM
ok, I have two of my outputs at water surface, so it's been breaking the tension, but I can see the film in other places.

My skimmer is a Bullet, it's touchy and was working well, but now it's not working much at all, it's very frustrating.

Reeses
04/17/2007, 01:54 PM
I know of a great thread in the old "all things salty" forum that may help you with skimmer production. I just have to find it....

Reeses
04/17/2007, 01:56 PM
Found it! It's a long one, and they moved it to advanced topics, but here it is:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=554786

gig
04/17/2007, 02:03 PM
thanks Reeses, I'll take a look...I have a feeling it's the cheap carbon I put in last night, I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and it just kept coming out black. I guess I should add this to the list of things I wish I hadn't put in my tank!

JokerGirl
04/17/2007, 02:06 PM
What type of filtration does your tank have? Is it drilled or do you have a tang-on overflow box? I've noticed that mine gets that when it's time to clean out the U-tube on the overflow because the flow is being restricted.

gig
04/17/2007, 02:32 PM
I've got a 180G RR setup with the outputs in the boxes turned into inputs to the sump (the sump is comprised of a 30G and 37G). Click on my little red house to see the setup.

I think it has to do with a few things now that's i've looked into it, it might be residual dust from the carbon I put in last night and also the fact I put my hands in the tank a few times trying to work on a few things (even though I cleaned my hands and arms with water, no soap). I guess I should use the gloves I bought instead!

AFnuketroop
04/17/2007, 02:32 PM
I installed a refugium on my tank and that film went away for me. And try cleaning out your skimmer.

Reeses
04/17/2007, 02:38 PM
I would have to guess that the carbon residue would be it, also, not organics. Don't ya love hindsight? :lol:

obsled
04/17/2007, 02:45 PM
Perhaps obvious, but a surface skimmer that pulls water from the top sheen is helpful for removal of this. I don't run any protein skimmers on my small tanks and see this surface material as a easy way to pull this matter down. So basically - I view it as a easy way to capture the junk that would otherwise be suspended in the water column.

Reeses
04/17/2007, 02:57 PM
obsled,

I am going to politely disagree. If you don't skim off the surface organics (sheen) then all your doing by using a surface skimmer is incorporating it back into the water, not getting rid of it. You just can't see it because it's not floating on top. But hey, it's just some food for thought.