PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactor vs additive.

salineh2o
04/17/2007, 02:45 PM
What are the advantages of a reactor compared to a store bought additive?

lvpd186
04/17/2007, 02:53 PM
From what I understand, and one of the reasons I'm going to get a reactor, the reactor will add other trace elements to the water. The store bought additive will increase your calcium but other then that nothing else (if I am wrong about that someone please correct me). The other reason for a reactor is the long term price. With a large tank, like what you have, I think in the long run it would be cheaper to run a reactor then keep buying additives.

kingnai
04/17/2007, 03:01 PM
less maintaince

old salty
04/17/2007, 03:48 PM
Less tinkering. A Ca reactor will maintain calcium and alkalinity whilst an additive will only increase one of these.

IndyReefMan
04/17/2007, 03:58 PM
It depends on the additive. ESV, for example, has 2 different components. Each component adds some trace elements as well (according to the directions), but it does not say in what proportions. With a heavily stocked SPS tank, you will go thru additives very quickly. It can get expensive. The Ca reactor will prove to be more economical in the long run. But, Randy Holmes-Farley has a recipe out there for making your own. While I have never personally tried it myself, it appears that could be an economical way to go as well.

salineH2O-- Nice GSD's!

CMcNeil
04/17/2007, 04:06 PM
i agree with indyreefman more economical in long run(for a heavy stocked sps).i personally love my reactor,i havent dosed anything in over 5 weeks.my CAL stays at 400 ppm and ALK at 4meq/L.i have seen better color and growth since adding the reactor.

salineh2o
04/17/2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks Guys