PDA

View Full Version : Green Chromis with White Blotches. Only visible at night with LED light.

Irie Mon
04/17/2007, 03:37 PM
So the other half brought home a blue/green chromis last night. Drip acclimated for about 2 hours, dropped him and he was fine. Everything seemed normal and he seemed comfortable.

Went to bed. She went downstairs to get some water and as she was passing by she wanted to see how he was doing. All the lights being off she shined a small LED flashlight at him and yelled up to me "Oh no, he has white spots on him". Panic mode for a second.

Weird thing was that the spots looked more like holograms on him. Only at certain angles could you see these spots that looked like they were under his skin, not on the surface. Shining the flashlight directly at his side and he looked totally healthy and you could see nothing at all, but from a distance head on you could see these spots (blotchy and not small).

With the tank lights on you can't see anything, looks totally fine. Only at night with the LED flashlight.

I think she just scared the crap out of him and he "lights up" a bit when in flight mode. He then started swimming up and down the side of the tank, freakin out a bit.

Today he's fine, no white spots under regular light. Eating fine etc. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

Scooter12ga
04/17/2007, 04:07 PM
At night my chromies go 'camoflauge' and turn a mottled brownish/purplish and light/whitish color. They've always done it since day one. I figure it's normal.

I'm more curious about how they do it.