PDA

View Full Version : Besides the standard Nitrate, Ammonia, Nitrite and PH test kits, what else do I need?

gig
04/17/2007, 04:50 PM
What is recommended and/or crucial for a reef?

Calcium?

anything else?

if so, why?

Thanks in advance

AJtheReefer
04/17/2007, 04:52 PM
I would add Calcium and Alk

Look into a PH Meter, may cost 10 or so more than the kit and it is a lot easier to use

frederickk
04/17/2007, 04:55 PM
I would say that if your are holding corals a Magnesium test kit would be a great addition.

All the rest mention above are good. It also depends the age of the tank as if the tank is pretty young you don't really need to test other than Ph Nitrate and Nitrite....

How old is your tank?

arts007
04/17/2007, 04:58 PM
All of the above mentioned is good

I would add a phosphate test into that as well.

-Joe

gig
04/17/2007, 05:00 PM
very new, it's been up and running since January, just started putting corals in over the last month, with a couple fish.

Some corals are doing ok, some aren't, my parameters for Nitrate, Nitrate, PH and Ammonia are fine, so is my salinity 1.022 and temp (80 degrees). I'm not sure what's up. The corals I have are farily hardy (zoo's and galaxea), my torch had nearly died off as well :(

arts007
04/17/2007, 05:11 PM
Salinity looks a little low, did you measure with a swing arm or a refractometer. I would invest in a refractometer if at all possible, quite accurate for around 40 bucks, just be sure to calibrate correctly. I don't see a test for Alk, which is just as important as the other tests you have done. And your calcium levels as well.

-Joe

gig
04/17/2007, 05:12 PM
I have a refractometer, I just checked, it's more like 1.023, but my LFS keeps their reef at a similar level.

I don't have a test for Alk or Ca yet, that's why I'm asking :)

MTB
04/17/2007, 05:16 PM
I test for nitrate, ph, phosphate, calcium, alk, magnesium. And a refractometer is a good tool to have. Also I try to keep my salinity at 1.025 for the reef.