PDA

View Full Version : Moving Tank Plan

bjlled
04/17/2007, 04:52 PM
Moving a 29 gallon bowfront in two weeks. This is my plan, please advise:

Put a filter floss in HOB filter 3 days before moving to build up beneficial bacteria.
Day of move shut off tank.
Get one 5gal bucket with water. put a powerhead and heater in bucket. Put filter floss in that bucket.
Tear down equipment and rinse in fresh water.
Get as many turbo snails and hermits out as possible, into the bucket. I doubt I'll be able to get emeralds to come out, but maybe.
start filling other buckets and pulling rock. Put rock into buckets with the water. Catching fish in rockwork is pretty difficult.
When enough rock is out, catch fish and put in first bucket.
Empty all water out, Leaving sand moist. If nassarius snails come out of sand, put in ziplock bag with water so hermits will not eat. Put bag in first bucket.
Leave sand moist and undistubed. Move tank with the 2 inch moist sandbed.
Move all things (5 miles). No heat/powerhead for 15 minutes or so. (remove from bucket and rinse).
Set up 10 Gal tank at new place with a few rocks, filter floss in HOB filter for bacteria. Use water from first bucket and add livestock to the tank. Slowly add water from a 2nd bucket into the 10 gal tank. Top off with fresh made salt water.
Rebuild Display tank and reaquascape. Let circulate for 1 week or so.
Feed the tank to nurture the bacteria.
Test params and acclimate.

There is 40 lbs of sand in the bottom which I have planned to leave there and transport in the tank. I've been told this isn't the best idea. If I disturb it much, it will cycle, correct? Other suggestions?

Let me know what you all think of my plan. I have been reading about it on here. Thanks.
Brandon

bjlled
04/18/2007, 12:06 AM
bump... any idea on the moving of the sand? should I leave it undisturbed and move the tank with it in it? or should it mix it all up and put it in a bucket?

rhino509
04/18/2007, 02:21 AM
take the sand out and put it in a bucket,whether it cycles or not,youll just have to find out,im sure it could but shouldnt be too much of a problem.also just a little tip(not sure if youve moved a tank before or not) when siphoning water out(when it starts to get empty) move sand from a corner exposing the bottom of the tank,this way when you siphon,you get the water level below the sand level.hell,if you do it right,you can almost leave the sand sitting dry before removing.
also note.youll problably want some water in the bucket you put the sand in just so it doesnt dry out while in route.and for removal of the sand,just buy a new small dust pan,makes this job a peice of cake.good luck.

kurtg
04/18/2007, 07:59 AM
When I bought and moved my tank, we just left all the sand, snails, hermits, etc. in the tank. We transported the fish in one bucket and rocks in another. Setup the aquarium and put everything back in. The water cleared in about 2-3 days. AFAIK, we didn't lose a thing. I did the same thing when I moved the tank across the room also with good results.

Unless you have fragile specimens, I'd just roll up my sleeves and get 'er done. Skip the 10g, and use the minimal # of containers such that you can move the tank safely. Quicker the better and the fish can settle into their new home without prolonged stress. Cloudy water bothers humans much more then fish.

btw, be careful with sponges. If you get air inside of them, they will die and could potential kick off a nasty cycle.