PDA

View Full Version : skimmer problem???

TTU_Reefer
04/17/2007, 05:06 PM
I have been running my CSS65 on my 20L for weeks, and its been pulling nasty brown thick skimmate. set on the wetter side of skimming.

the other day I turned off the skimmer, let it sit for 24hrs(while doing some work on the tank) and then plugged it back in and the collection cup just fills up with water/foam in a minute. Its not getting enough air. even set of full dry skim, cleaned pump/air tube/ venturi tube with vinigar and no results. it just fills with water...

whats wrong? i'm stuck...how does a skimmer go from working wonderfully one day to broken the next?

Hop
04/17/2007, 05:49 PM
the other day I turned off the skimmer, let it sit for 24hrs(while doing some work on the tank)
What work did you do?

TTU_Reefer
04/17/2007, 05:52 PM
just moved the sump around, added some more live rock rubble to the sump. left the skimmer off for that long by mistake because the tank is only cycling still.

Hop
04/17/2007, 05:56 PM
Does it still overflow if you open the adjustment all the way. Basically, lower the water level of the skimmer as low as it will go and just let it run for a few hours or a day.

TTU_Reefer
04/17/2007, 06:05 PM
yea no matter how I adjust it, its just worse the wetter i set it. either way it overflows in 1-2min. I cant figure it out to save my life

Hop
04/17/2007, 06:12 PM
I would expect it to overflow if you set it wetter:) That would mean raising the water level in the skimmer.

I would set it in a 5 gallon bucket of 1:10 ratio if vinegar and let it go over night. I've read, but never really paid attention to others that had similar problems with these skimmers.

TTU_Reefer
04/17/2007, 06:16 PM
thanks ill try the vinegar tonight, see how it goes!