PDA

View Full Version : Clown transfer, help asap please

t5Nitro
04/17/2007, 07:34 PM
I was thinking of transfering my clowns to the new 125 right now. If I do this, I would transfer 2 pieces of LR right now since the hammer coral they host in is on 2 rocks. Should I move them now or tomorrow? If I move them now, they will have lights out in an hour, if I move them tomorrow they will be in light longer. Should I transfer them now before lights out so they are less stressed because the lights would be off or is it better to transfer where the lights are on longer?

Grunt
04/17/2007, 07:39 PM
How are the water conditions? Is it a new tank? cycled?

t5Nitro
04/17/2007, 07:41 PM
It is a newer tank that has been running for over a month or longer. It has cycled and 3 bartletts anthias have been in it for a week and a half so I want to start transfering the old tank slowly.

The water parameters:
pH 8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20

Old tank parameters:
pH 8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

Nitrates shouldn't bother fish too much though I don't think. They were down to about 10-12 before the anthias and then it stays at 20, the sand bed needs to become live and then it should go back to 0.

Grunt
04/17/2007, 07:44 PM
Well everyone' s going to have their own opinion on what time to transfer is best. I personally would think before lights out is not a bad time. It may help reduce the stress associated with transferring. Just take your time to acclimate them to the new tank.
Cheers

t5Nitro
04/17/2007, 07:46 PM
Right now the old tank just went to actinics maybe 5-10 minutes ago. Is that going to cause more stress to take them out when it is dark in their tank and transfer them? Actinics may be on another 20 minutes yet.

t5Nitro
04/17/2007, 07:49 PM
Maybe I will wait. I don't want to ruin something that is going good.

davocean
04/17/2007, 08:55 PM
I'd wait so they can see the declining light and seek a safe spot for the night.

Toddrtrex
04/17/2007, 10:55 PM
Or, going on what davocean said, make sure there are some lights on in the room that the tank is in. The ambient light should help them find a spot.